How to download application to CYW20719 via SPI?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
AlGo_4347736
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 10 questions asked 5 replies posted

Hello! Can I use SPI instead of HCI UART to download the application? And if so, where can I read it, how can I do that?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Yes, the fw_upgrade.c provide the function to store and retrieve information from serial flash. You need to receive the upgraded FW data from SPI and call the function to store it to the flash in your application.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Owen_Zhang123
5 questions asked 500 solutions authored 250 sign-ins

All BT/BLE chips use HCI commands to program the device so SPI is not an option to program the device.

0 Likes

Thank you for the quick response! So it turns out that for flashing any chip it is necessary to have UART only?

0 Likes

There is an entry in the WICED Firmware Upgrade Library document:
While different upgrade methods (for example different OTA procedure, or SPI, or UART download) will require different Firmware Upgrade OTA module implementations, the Firmware Upgrade HAL implementation will likely be the same, and will not require changes to that module of the library.

SPI version of Firmware Upgrade OTA module will be programed the serial flash directly then it should be possible to use SPI for frimware upgrade?

0 Likes

Yes, the fw_upgrade.c provide the function to store and retrieve information from serial flash. You need to receive the upgraded FW data from SPI and call the function to store it to the flash in your application.

Thank you! Can you tell me if I can send control commands via SPI in this case?

0 Likes

What kind of control commands? If you mean wiced hci commands, the answer is yes. In the WICED SDK 6.2.1, demo/watch shows how to receive WICED_HCI command through SPI interface.

Thank you!

Let's summarize:

We can download firmware and send HCI commands via SPI, but we cannot download the application via SPI.

Is that right?

0 Likes

You can use SPI to send WICED HCI command(not standard HCI command) or upgrade FW. But can't program the device.

Are there chips on which all this is implemented using SPI and UART? i.e. send WICED HCI command(not standard HCI command), upgrade FW, program the device?

0 Likes

All the CYWxxxxx bluetooth chips supports to receive WICED HCI commands and standard HCI commands through HCI UART port. And also support program and upgrade FW with the HCI UART port.