To IoT Lovers: RedBear Duo

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Ch-_2119361
Level 3
Level 3
First like received First like given
6 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

Adding the Particle team: chobberoni , jonlogan

Thanks for sharing cheong2k!

This looks like an excellent platform for new IoT customers looking to develop an application leveraging Wi-Fi, BLE or combo functionality.

Note that I am also featuring your video in the IoT Designs section of the site and will push a sitemap out to the search indexes now so that the material gets indexed by Google, Baidu and others.

Hi mwf_mmfae,

Thanks a lot for your support!

--Cheong

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello cheong2k

any measurement on current versus mode wifi speed, BT, ... standby but connected , please ? for IOT batterie device ...

Please, this may help all of us

Best Regards

JP

GREAT DEVICE, i like to get one please..

0 Likes

Hi,

We did some simple testing before using our engineering sample with WICED SDK 3.3.1, we will do that with our PP boards as soon as possible.

However, we are still not sure why the BLE power consumption is so high, since the BT stack has no source code, not sure any optimization there or not for the power.

We have started doing our own BLE stack and we hope the power consumption can be reduced.

Result:

- WiFi only (BLE Off): 4.5mA

> Ping

- BLE only (WiFi Off): 7mA

> Proximity reporter

- WiFi + BLE: 10mA

> Ping and Proximity

- No WiFi, No BT: 0.5mA

> e.g. MCU is sleeping

Thank you for your support.

--Cheong

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

3.3.1 does not enable low power mode for BLE

Future SDK releases will shortly

I am curious how you measured those power numbers. The 4.5mA WiFi only ping number is extremely low. Can you give more details on this measurement.

0 Likes

Hi all,

I am sorry for the long delay, as in SDK 3.5.2, it improves the power consumption and we are now working on testing with our board (the Duo) using the latest SDK version, we will get back to you as soon as possible once the result is ready.

Also, our board supports BTstack - an open source Bluetooth stack, if you like open source, you can try it (since Broadcom's BTE is closed source).

https://github.com/bluekitchen/btstack/tree/ble-api-cleanup/port/wiced

0 Likes