wifi-bluetooth coexistence gives bad wifi performance

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
AlVa_4513041
Level 1
Level 1
First like received First like given

We are currently using the Sterling LWB which uses the cyw43430 firmware version 7.45.98.65 and experience the following problem.

In our software application we are using bluetooth to continuously alternate between scanning passively (99% of the time) and connecting shortly (mostly <120 seconds) with a BLE peripheral, the application also requires a wifi connection to communicate with a central server. However, we noticed that during normal operation the wifi speed is highly affected by the bluetooth communication (average download speed of 20-50kbytes/s). If we disable the bluetooth communcation in general, download speeds up to 2 Mbyte/s are achieved.

Additionally, we've noticed the 'btc_mode' and 'btc_params' in '/lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.txt' which can be tweaked for wifi and bluetooth coexistence. Sadly enough it is nowhere to be found what they mean.

One thing we've tested had a significant impact on the download and upload speed (however with reduced bluetooth stability). We've disabled (at least we think we did) bluetooth coexistence by setting 'btc_mode=0'. Disabling btc_coex improved the download speed which went up to 2 Mbyte/s, at the same time the bluetooth stability was reduced (i.e. time to set up connection increases + more failures). This seems similar to the 'BLE througput with coex enabled' test done in Coexistence Throughput Test​. Though by disabling bluetooth coexistence we would expect everything to work very bad, but it did the opposite which seems very odd. After a while we did notice the following error which made the firmware unusable:

Oct 14 20:26:15 NODP-19-01111 kernel: brcmfmac: brcmf_sdio_readshared sdpcm_shared address 0x0004136C

Oct 14 20:26:15 NODP-19-01111 kernel: brcmfmac: brcmf_sdio_hostmail: Unknown mailbox data content: 0x40012

Oct 14 20:26:21 NODP-19-01111 kernel: brcmfmac: brcmf_sdio_bus_rxctl: resumed on timeout

Oct 14 20:26:21 NODP-19-01111 kernel: brcmfmac: brcmf_sdio_readshared sdpcm_shared address 0x0004136C

Oct 14 20:26:21 NODP-19-01111 kernel: brcmfmac: brcmf_sdio_checkdied firmware not built with -assert

Oct 14 20:26:21 NODP-19-01111 kernel: brcmfmac: brcmf_sdio_checkdied: firmware trap in dongle

Oct 14 20:26:21 NODP-19-01111 kernel: brcmfmac: brcmf_do_escan: error (-110)

Oct 14 20:26:21 NODP-19-01111 kernel: brcmfmac: brcmf_cfg80211_scan: scan error (-110)

Oct 14 20:26:21 NODP-19-01111 wpa_supplicant[479]: wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-FAILED ret=-110

We've noticed this mailbox issue more frequent in 7.45.41.47 but was resolved by a newer release, though disabling bt_coex somehow triggers the error. In firmware version 7.45.41.47 we notice higher upload speeds but almost identical download speeds.

In addition I've added 2 boxplots showing download and upload speeds and bluetooth connection time (and a txt file with additional statistics). The speed is the result of an iperf test (over a 1 hour period) in kilobytes/s. The connect time is the time needed to set up a connection with a ble peripheral (in milliseconds).

The 3 boxplots mean following:

• btc_mode=0 -> firmware version 7.45.98.65 with bluetooth coexistence disabled
  • 7.45.98.65 -> firmware version 7.45.98.65 without additions
  • 7.45.41.47 -> firmware version 7.45.41.47 without additions

Additional tests that do not give significant changes:

The questions we currently remain unanswered are:

• what is the meaning of the btc_params ?
  • does btc_mode=0 really disable coexistence or why do we achieve unexpected results?
1 Solution

Hi,

btc_params are coexistence tuning parameters to get the best performance for your requirement. Please follow up with Laird for further

knowledge on fine tuning these values for different profiles of BT and WLAN activities.

Regards,

VinayakS_26

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

Have you already reached out to Laird regarding this issue? I will contact their team in Europe and ask them to work with you to resolve the issue.

0 Likes

Thanks Michael, I'll follow up the problem with Laird.

I think you probably can help w.r.t. the meaning of the btc params? I supose there is some general information on these params (what their meaning is and what they do change exactly), but I can't seem to find them.

0 Likes

Hi,

btc_params are coexistence tuning parameters to get the best performance for your requirement. Please follow up with Laird for further

knowledge on fine tuning these values for different profiles of BT and WLAN activities.

Regards,

VinayakS_26

0 Likes