Unable to flash USI WM-AN-BM-23 EvalBoard

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
NiTh_1192411
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I made a board using a WM-AN-BM-23 WiFi module from USI. I cannot flash it (with JLink and Wiced).

I've bought an evalboard USI WM-AN-BM-23 in order to check if the problem is coming from my board or my setup.

Until now, I haven't manage to program my devboard (neither by embedded JTAG nor external J-Link).

Could someone can explain me how to flash a simple example (scan) to know if my board is flashable and working.

Here are more information about my setup: I'm on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. I'm using Wiced V6.4 SDK. I updated the J-Link driver to libusbK (v3.0.7.0) with Zadig. I got the platform files from USI (BCMUSI23).

Here is the log I'm getting in openocg_log.txt

Open On-Chip Debugger 0.10.0+dev-00227-g0d15c62 (2018-03-27-15:19)

Licensed under GNU GPL v2

For bug reports, read

http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html

trst_and_srst separate srst_nogate trst_push_pull srst_push_pull connect_assert_srst

trst_and_srst separate srst_nogate trst_push_pull srst_push_pull connect_assert_srst

adapter speed: 100 kHz

adapter_nsrst_delay: 100

Info : auto-selecting first available session transport "jtag". To override use 'transport select <transport>'.

jtag_ntrst_delay: 100

post_init_psoc6_setup

Info : J-Link V10 compiled Jul 10 2019 16:31:42

Info : Hardware version: 10.10

Info : VTarget = 3.354 V

Info : clock speed 100 kHz

Info : JTAG tap: BCM43909.cpu tap/device found: 0x5ba00477 (mfg: 0x23b (ARM Ltd.), part: 0xba00, ver: 0x5)

Info : BCM43909.cpu: hardware has 4 breakpoints, 4 watchpoints

force hard breakpoints

Info : JTAG tap: BCM43909.cpu tap/device found: 0x5ba00477 (mfg: 0x23b (ARM Ltd.), part: 0xba00, ver: 0x5)

Error: Error BCM43909.cpu: Reset was not successfully asserted

in procedure 'sflash_write_file'

in procedure 'sflash_init' called at file "apps/waf/sflash_write/sflash_write.tcl", line 261

in procedure 'post_init_43909_setup' called at file "apps/waf/sflash_write/sflash_write.tcl", line 160

in procedure 'reset' called at file "apps/waf/sflash_write/sflash_write.tcl", line 569

in procedure 'ocd_bouncer'

Thanks for your help,

Nicolas.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Dear Nicolas,

It seems to be hardware connection issue. Kindly check your schematics and soldering etc (most likely the TDO is always pulled high and hence the error)

View solution in original post

9 Replies
RaktimR_11
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 replies posted

Dear Nicolas,

Could you please confirm whether you see the same issue in USI eval kit (USI WM-AN-BM-23) or the issue is only seen in your eval kit only?

For your eval kit, I would recommend switching back to J-Link driver and then try issuing reset command from JLinkCommander terminal and see if that is successful? ( If this step is successful, you can also try reading some memory locations and check)

From the mentioned log, it appears to be a hardware connection issue. Kindly double check that and give it a shot again. I am mentioning some relevant articles here

1. Downloading and debugging CYW43907 using Jlink Segger
  2. Downloading through Jlink Segger in WICED SDK 6.2 and future releases
  3. OpenOCD -WICED

Hello Raktim,

I see the issue on the evalboard. I want first to have a working setup using the evalboard before moving to my board.

I switched to original J-Link driver and it connects through JLink.exe:

SEGGER J-Link Commander V6.44e (Compiled Apr  5 2019 16:17:35)

DLL version V6.44e, compiled Apr  5 2019 16:15:03

Connecting to J-Link via USB...O.K.

Firmware: J-Link V10 compiled Mar 27 2017 14:04:52

Hardware version: V10.10

S/N: 50115987

License(s): GDB

VTref=3.348V

Type "connect" to establish a target connection, '?' for help

J-Link>connect

Please specify device / core. <Default>: CYW43907

Type '?' for selection dialog

Device>

Please specify target interface:

J) JTAG (Default)

S) SWD

T) cJTAG

TIF>

Device position in JTAG chain (IRPre,DRPre) <Default>: -1,-1 => Auto-detect

JTAGConf>

Specify target interface speed [kHz]. <Default>: 4000 kHz

Speed>

Device "CYW43907" selected.

Connecting to target via JTAG

TotalIRLen = 4, IRPrint = 0x01

JTAG chain detection found 1 devices:

#0 Id: 0x5BA00477, IRLen: 04, CoreSight JTAG-DP

Scanning AP map to find all available APs

AP[2]: Stopped AP scan as end of AP map has been reached

AP[0]: APB-AP (IDR: 0x44770002)

AP[1]: JTAG-AP (IDR: 0x24760010)

Iterating through AP map to find APB-AP to use

AP[0]: APB-AP found

ROMTbl[0][0]: CompAddr: 80001000 CID: B105900D, PID:04-008BBC14 Cortex-R4

Found Cortex-R4 r1p4

4 code breakpoints, 4 data breakpoints

Debug architecture ARMv7.0

Data endian: little

Main ID register: 0x411FC144

I-Cache L1: 32 KB, 256 Sets, 32 Bytes/Line, 4-Way

D-Cache L1: 32 KB, 256 Sets, 32 Bytes/Line, 4-Way

TCM Type register: 0x00010001

MPU Type register: 0x00000800

System control register:

Instruction endian: little

Level-1 instruction cache enabled

Level-1 data cache enabled

MPU enabled

Branch prediction enabled

Memory zones:

[0]: Default (Default access mode)

[1]: APB-AP (AP0) (DMA like acc. in AP0 addr. space)

Cortex-R4 identified.

J-Link>r

Reset delay: 0 ms

Reset type NORMAL: Toggle reset pin and halt CPU core.

ResetTarget() start

J-Link script: Reset

J-Link script: Core did not halt after reset. Halting core...

J-Link script: Done

ResetTarget() end

J-Link>

I think there is an issue with reset pin from what I see from reset command from log.

I checked my wirings and everythings seems OK. However, when I press the reset button of the evalboard, I have the following output:

J-Link>r

Reset delay: 0 ms

Reset type NORMAL: Toggle reset pin and halt CPU core.

ResetTarget() start

J-Link script: Reset

J-Link script: Done

ResetTarget() end

J-Link>

What else should I check? Also, what is the difference between TRST and RESET pins?

Thanks again for your support,

Nicolas.

0 Likes

JoYi_1844281​ any thoughts on this?

Nicolas,

I am not particularly familiar with the USI eval kit that you are using. It would be better if you check the schematic to understand the difference between RESET and TRST pin.

Usually, in CY counterparts (CYW943907AEVAL1F), the reset pin is not tied to the TRST pin; instead it performs a complete backplane reset. Through JTAG, you are basically resetting the entire core.

The next step would be to try reading a memory location from J-Link Commander terminal. Maybe, you can try the following command

mem 0x14000000 100 hex

If you are able to successfully read the memory location, you can try the steps mentioned in Downloading through Jlink Segger in WICED SDK 6.2 and future releases and let us know if you are facing any errors.

0 Likes

Hi Raktim,

I did the mem command and some valid data (not 0x00 or 0xFF). Do you have the memory mapping of the CYW43907? Because I don't have it in the USI datasheet.

Thanks for the link, I'm now able to flash my evalboard with J-Link. I'm now confused because I don't understand why, in some Cypress tutorials, it is written to use libusbK driver. Here, it was working while indicating the absolute path to JLink.exe.

Now, I wanted to flash my ownboard based on WM-AN-BM-23 but I have the following error when I try to connect with JLink.exe:

Connecting to target via JTAG

Could not measure total IR len. TDO is constant high.

Cannot connect to target.

Do you have an idea why I get this output on my board but not on the evalboard? Soldering issue?

Here is the connection of the JTAG and configuration pins, if you can spot something:

P1722_JTAG.png

Thank you,

Nicolas.

0 Likes

Dear Nicolas,

It seems to be hardware connection issue. Kindly check your schematics and soldering etc (most likely the TDO is always pulled high and hence the error)

lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Hi,

Could you check if we made an error in the schematics? We would like to be sure that there is no obvious error. If not, we'll launch from another supplier some boards.

Thank you.

0 Likes

Adding JoYi_1844281​ from USI

0 Likes

Hi MichaelF_56,

Do you have some news?

Thank you,

Nicolas.

0 Likes

No.  Have you reached out to the USI team in your region? If they are unresponsive, the CY Sales/Regional Marketing team in the region can help put you in contact with them to do a schematic review.

WolfF_56kenr_796

0 Likes