Using PSoC 6 kit for 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac with LBEE5HY1MW module

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GeVa_264731
Level 3
Level 3
First like received

I would like to use the PSoC® 6 WiFi-BT Pioneer Kit with the Murata LBEE5HY1MW module instead of the Murata module it comes with.

This would allow 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac for faster speeds up to 433Mbps.

Is it possible to swap in the module and use existing WICED software to do this?

0 Likes
1 Solution
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

The 43455 platform is not currently supported with the P6 as an external host MCU.

Because a very high speed SDIO interface is needed to support 802.11ac, the most common external host for this radio is an i.MX 6/7/8 and/or i.MX RT from NXP.

In fact, Murata has a new development platform they created with Embedded Artist which leverages an M.2 form factor plug-in board with an on-board Type 1MW module (43455 based).

pastedImage_0.png

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

The 43455 platform is not currently supported with the P6 as an external host MCU.

Because a very high speed SDIO interface is needed to support 802.11ac, the most common external host for this radio is an i.MX 6/7/8 and/or i.MX RT from NXP.

In fact, Murata has a new development platform they created with Embedded Artist which leverages an M.2 form factor plug-in board with an on-board Type 1MW module (43455 based).

pastedImage_0.png

0 Likes

The PSoC 6 data sheet says it supports SDR50 50MB/sec. Do you think SDR104 is required?

0 Likes

That seems like one plausible reason. But currently, CYW43455 is only supported through NXP i.MX host.

0 Likes

I don’t mind modifying the code, and installing the Murata LBEE5HY1MW module on the cypress kit. I am trying to determine if this would work for development prior to building my own hardware with the PSoC 6 which I prefer.

0 Likes

Unfortunately, that won't work out because the RTOS drivers for 1MW (CYW43455) is not supported in WICED. You need to have the driver support (wwd code base) for CYW43455 for you to plug the 1MW module in your HW. The only form of driver support for CYW43455 is currently available through FMAC releases and the most common external host for this radio is an i.MX 6/7/8 and/or i.MX RT from NXP.

Murata indicates that Cypress WICED is fully supported for the LBEE5HY1MW.

https://wireless.murata.com/type-1mw.html

0 Likes

That page needs to be updated. Unfortunately, WICED drivers are not available for CYW43455 (1MW).

0 Likes

I will ask Murata to update this page: Type 1MW| LBEE5HY1MW | Murata Manufacturing Co., Ltd.

And remove the reference to WICED.

0 Likes

Another option for 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac 433Mbps, is the following cypress development kit CYW954907AEVAL1F Evaluation Kit. It uses the Cypress CYW54907 embedded wireless system-on-a-chip. It is supported by Wiced, and there is a module version Type 1PS | LBWA1UZ1PS | Murata Manufacturing Co., Ltd.

• 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac 433Mbps, Wifi Stack runs inside
  • Cypress WICED, USB 2.0, SDIO 3.0 host and device mode

Here is a Video.

Amazon FreeRTOS 101 CYWxx907: Lesson 1 Intro to AWS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NQXVUA-ydM