Emulated EEPROM

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
chsh_4442971
Level 1
Level 1
First like received

Hi Friends,

I'm developing firmware for Access Control with PSoC 4, CY8CKIT-042 (Pioneer 4200) kit.

For my application, I need to save some data (like User Identity Code) on Non-volatile memory.

Should I go with Emulated EEPROM? How many maximum bytes I can save on Emulated EEPROM of CY8CKIT-042 (Pioneer 4200) kit?

Is there a fixed defined/dedicated area for Emulated EEPROM in Flash Memory?

Is it possible to save on Flash memory using Flash API?

I tried with it, but if I call FlashRead before FlashWrite, then I get garbage value, however, If I call FlashRead after FlsahWrite, then it works.

But in my application, if someone's data saved on memory (as a part of application of Access Control), then I just need to recall that data by using FlashRead function call.

In Access Control application, I've to get all pre-flashed/pre-saved data in RAM, then if user asks for identity, I just need to compare that data with the data that retrieved from Flash, so in this way, I just need to call FlashRead function only, but it doesn't work without FlashWrite.

The above things work with Emulated EEPROM, but I have fear about limited size of Emulated EEPROM.

Thanks,

Chinmay

0 Likes
1 Solution
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

EmEEProm is a fine thing, although the amount of flash is limited. Your project code and emeeprom have to share the amount of flash availlable. Rule of thumb is to use the flash from top downto the end of code area. Tere are a handful of #defines which declare the width of a flash row (smallest item to program) to the number of rows your PSoC offers. Seems to be a bit difficult to add a bootloader when using emeeprom. Pitfall might be a power loss while programming is done. Might result in a non-functioning chip that needs re-programming.

You may think about an external memory as FRam or EEProm.

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

EmEEProm is a fine thing, although the amount of flash is limited. Your project code and emeeprom have to share the amount of flash availlable. Rule of thumb is to use the flash from top downto the end of code area. Tere are a handful of #defines which declare the width of a flash row (smallest item to program) to the number of rows your PSoC offers. Seems to be a bit difficult to add a bootloader when using emeeprom. Pitfall might be a power loss while programming is done. Might result in a non-functioning chip that needs re-programming.

You may think about an external memory as FRam or EEProm.

Bob

0 Likes