FX3 experience and the use of JLink to upload firmware

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
user_4451876
Level 1
Level 1
First like given

Hello,

Long version:

I am new to cypress products, but I am working with microcontrollers since ages. Currently I have a project where a CYUSB3033 seems to fit in.

So I got a ZTEX usb-fpga-2.18 board (since the pactroninc guys a bit "shady" and pricey for what you get). After I installed the EZ USB Suite, I set up the JLink debugging connection as described in the manual and experienced the Bad JTAG communication Error ​after some googleing I found the linked solution. Currently everything works, but it is not as strait forward as I am used to from other manufacturers. E.g. if I just want to run the code I can ether use the debug mode and let it run, kill the debug session and switch back to the previous perspective or place the jumper on the board and switch to Cypress USB Control Center and upload the firmware there. Both ways are not as seamless, as I would expect from someone who calls themselves industry leader. I would have expected to just click the little green play button and the code gets uploaded. I tried to find a way to use JLink commander to just upload the code (and run it), but without success. It seems to upload the code and then does not proper reset the PC. That way I found that the CYUSB* devices are not officially supported by SEGGER, funny since I read in some manual from Cypress, that JLink is their preferred tool.

Short version:

Is there a way to configure EZ USB Suite to one click upload the code to the device?

Thanks,

Michael

0 Likes
1 Solution
YiZ_31
1000 replies posted 750 replies posted 500 replies posted

Hi Michael,

In this document, there are detailed description about how to configure Eclipse when using J-link. Hope it would be helpful to you.

Regards,
Eddie

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
YiZ_31

Hi,

I followed the steps described in section 3.7.2 of attached manual. There is no need to open Control Center and upload the firmware manually. May I know which maual do you refer to that needs uploading the firmware by USB Control Center?

Regards,
Eddie

0 Likes

Hi Eddi,

C.1 of Getting Started with EZ-USB FX3 mentions: "The Segger J-Link probe is the preferred JTAG probe for the FX3 SDK".

Since the SuperSpeed Explorer Kit has an build in OpenOCD, your manual only shows how to use the OpenOCD, unfortunately the J-Link way is different, since the arguments will be different. To figure out these arguments (for J-Link Commander) is exactly the problem that I have.

The USB Control Center is mentioned in section 4.4.3 of FX3 Programmers Manual and is currently the only way I found to upload firmware without debugging the device. Also the only way I found to program the flash.

So having two different run configurations one for a control center style upload - requiring the bootloader mode - but beeing able to upload to ram and flash, and one configuration for JTAG (J-Link) to just upload in ram (and don't care about the mode), would be a master class solution. For now I would be happy with any one of these.

Regards,

Michael

0 Likes
YiZ_31

Hi Michael,

In this document, there are detailed description about how to configure Eclipse when using J-link. Hope it would be helpful to you.

Regards,
Eddie

0 Likes