MiniProg 3 for in-circuit programming of PSoC 4 WLCSP

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
NaJa_4363881
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 10 questions asked 5 replies posted

Hello!

I am trying to establish an SWD interface between PSoC 4 WLCSP Package (CY8C4014FNI-421AT) and Mini Prog3 but is having issues with finding a way for seamless integration between the devices, as the mentioned PSoC 4 MCU doesn't have an external XRES pin to program it using Mini Prog3. As programming the device generally needs a reset, I am not sure how these types of MCUs with no external reset pin can be programmed via SWD.

I had also previously raised a similar question for the CY8CKIT-059 option and I was provided a workaround of reusing the supply line of the PSoC 4 MCU for generating a reset signal with the help of inverter driver circuit at the VDD line of the MCU. But since the project that I am currently working on has space constraints, I am looking for a solution that can let me program PSoC 4 without the help of additional logic which should be built into the target PCB for programming the MCUs using an external programmer.

It will be great if someone could clarify me regarding this concern.

Best Regards,

Nandhini Jayapandian

0 Likes
1 Solution
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

Yes for devices that do not have a reset pin, the only method is to power cycle. You can use the "Power Cycle" mode of programming while using Miniprog3 instead of the "Reset" mode. For this, all power supply pins of the PSoC device must be shorted together and connected to MiniProg3’s VTARG pin so that it can toggle power to the PSoC device.

If you are using PSoC Programmer, then set the Programming Mode to Power Cycle in the Programmer tab.

pastedImage_11.png

If you are using PSoC Creator, go to Tools > Options > Program/Debug > Port Configuration > Miniprog3 and choose Power Cycle as shown below:

pastedImage_17.png

Please note: Do not supply power externally to the PSoC device.

Regards,

Dheeraj

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

Yes for devices that do not have a reset pin, the only method is to power cycle. You can use the "Power Cycle" mode of programming while using Miniprog3 instead of the "Reset" mode. For this, all power supply pins of the PSoC device must be shorted together and connected to MiniProg3’s VTARG pin so that it can toggle power to the PSoC device.

If you are using PSoC Programmer, then set the Programming Mode to Power Cycle in the Programmer tab.

pastedImage_11.png

If you are using PSoC Creator, go to Tools > Options > Program/Debug > Port Configuration > Miniprog3 and choose Power Cycle as shown below:

pastedImage_17.png

Please note: Do not supply power externally to the PSoC device.

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

Hello Dheeraj!

Thank you very much for advising me on this concern.

While going through the documentation for MiniProg 3, I could see that they have different types of connector headers. As I am using SWD,  I could see that there are five lines coming out of Mini Prog3 including the external XRES pin. Can you please advise regarding the right type of connectors that might be available with the Mini Prog3, which can be used to seamlessly connect with the Microcontrollers having no external reset pin?

Best Regards,

Nandhini Jayapandian

0 Likes

Yes, you need not connect the XRES line of the Miniprog3. To seamlessly connect to your PSoC4 MCU, you could use the Molex model 22-23-2051 (straight) or 22-05-3051 (right angle) with the reset line unused.

power_cycle.PNG

In Power Cycle mode, the device is reset by using power-on-reset – power to the PSoC device is toggled so that it goes through power-on-reset. For this, all power supply pins of the PSoC device must be shorted together and connected to MiniProg3’s VTARG pin so that it can toggle power to the PSoC device.

Regards,
Dheeraj

0 Likes

Hello Dheeraj!

Thank you very much for advising me regarding his concern.

Best Regards,

Nandhini Jayapandian

0 Likes