Using Multiple .cysch files In One Project?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm working on a project with several people, but the single TopDesign.cysch files is extremely problematic for version control (git).

I'm trying to figure out how to use multiple .cysch files in one project. I realize that you can create multiple tabs or pages in a single .cysch file, but that doesn't help with version control since it seems that even with multiple isolated pages, TopDesign is not really mergeable. 

Has anyone had success in separating out the various components of their design into multiple .cysch files?

1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your question  kind of answered itself: we make components inside projects to split out complexity. One benefit is easy configuration options for the component. i would think they would version well in git.

Ed

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your question  kind of answered itself: we make components inside projects to split out complexity. One benefit is easy configuration options for the component. i would think they would version well in git.

Ed

0 Likes
JoWi_3984961
Level 4
Level 4
First like received First like given

I renamed TopDesign.cysch to something else and DID add a second .cysch to the project using add existing

after I created it.  However, although it is IN the project tree, it is ignored when I build the project, even though I have Build Customizer checked on the top of the menu when I right-click there.

Is this a bug, or is there some missing magic?

Also, I can't move it up the tree in the explorer window.  It is after the source code!

0 Likes
JoBr_1593366
Level 5
Level 5
100 sign-ins 50 questions asked 100 replies posted

Have you found a solution to splitting up functionality for git?  I'd love to have shared functionality in one schematic file and project-specific functionality in another.

0 Likes

JoBr,

I don't know if this is an acceptable solution for you:

Creator only allows one TopDesign file,

When I need to have multiple design variants in the same TopDesign file I create the variant on a separate schematic page.

Len_CONSULTRON_0-1653477503214.png

To switch between the different variants I first DISABLE the current schematic page.

Len_CONSULTRON_1-1653477629836.png

Then I ENABLE the desired schematic page.

Len_CONSULTRON_2-1653477676166.png

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."

It looks like disabling the schematic page modifies the .cysch file, so that wouldn't work. 

The goal is to split up functionality so I can commit shared code into one git repo and project-specific code into another, (maybe using subtree or something like that), so when I make improvements to the shared functionality, it is automatically applied to all projects.  Currently I have them all in separate linear branches and I have to manually make the same changes to each, which I don't always remember to do and which clutters their commit history.

0 Likes

JoBr,

Theoretically there is a another way to solve this.  However, I'm not sure you're going to like it.

Solution:   Create custom components for circuit blocks with their own schematic sheets.

Using a custom Component library allows you to share these circuit blocks across a TopDesigns that use them.

If you need to modify the circuit block (hence the component), just make the changes to the component schematic.  The changes will 'ripple' to all the TopDesigns using this shared component.

Using a component method, you can actually create multiple versions of the component for better version control maintenance.

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."

That's a good idea, thanks.  The main schematic could just be a "block diagram" and the functionality hidden inside the blocks.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
shuvra1
Level 5
Level 5
100 sign-ins 10 likes given 100 replies posted

Can you Replicate this project & send me the actual HEX file for PSoc 5LP Prototyping Kit??  Send it to -p20210447@hyderabad.bits-pilani.ac.in

0 Likes