Can CY4502 or other kits be used to program over CC lines?

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GrCa_1363456
Level 6
Level 6
50 likes received Beta tester First comment on KBA

Can a CY4502 kit be used to program a CCGx device over the CC lines?

The document, "CCGx Programming Methods - KBA97271" provides an Answer that programming can be performed, "You can upgrade or program the firmware of an EZ-PD™ CCGx device over the CC line using the Cypress-provided PC utility, EZ-PD Configuration Utility."

The Answer in KBA97271 goes on to state, "This operation requires the CY4501 CCG1 Development Kit."

Is the CY4501 the only hardware that has been verified to program over the CC lines?

Regards,

Greg

0 Likes
1 Solution
YiZ_31
1000 replies posted 750 replies posted 500 replies posted

Hi Greg,

KBA97271 is a obsolete KBA, and we are going to remove it from our website.

You can use CY4532 to program chip over CC line with EZ-PD Configuration Utility.

Regards,
Eddie

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
YiZ_31
1000 replies posted 750 replies posted 500 replies posted

Hi Greg,

KBA97271 is a obsolete KBA, and we are going to remove it from our website.

You can use CY4532 to program chip over CC line with EZ-PD Configuration Utility.

Regards,
Eddie

0 Likes

Eddie,

Thank you for the clarification.

I'd like to add some additional related information I've learned.

To switch from the I2C bootloader to the CC bootloader, reference the following post with details: https://community.cypress.com/message/195209#195209

Looks like the trickiest bit is making cure the CC bootloader FITS.  Note, if using the CCG2, it is fairly flash space constrained and the CC bootloader takes up more flash than the I2C bootloader.

FYI: In the above post, LIsaZ points out "CCG2 CC bootloader is supported by CY4501 or CY4531. CY4521 is not supported."

Also reference post Support CCG5 firmware update over CC-lines? which is a testament to the ability to create the code, though the final code or process to create the code isn't shared here.

Greg

0 Likes