Adding the KitProg2 to design -- Can I get the P5LP with a preprogrammed USB Bootloader

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
MiRo_263836
Level 5
Level 5
100 replies posted 50 likes received 50 replies posted

I don't want a programming header on my board and a MiniProg3 that will get lost.  I want to put the KitProg2 circuit on my board.  The issue that I see is that the P5LP is blank when I put it on my board so I need an SWD header and a MiniProg3 to program the P5LP the 1st time. It kind of defeats the purpose.  Is there a P5LP that I can order that is preprogrammed with a USB bootloader or the KitProg2 firmware so that I don/t need the SWD header and MiniProg3 to program the KitProg P5LP?

Alternately, I could use the FX2 implementation on CY9CKIT-030 or -050 with an external EEPROM. Will the PSOC programmer be able to update the blank EEPROM when I first plug it in with a blank EEPROM? 

Thanks,

Mike Roberts

0 Likes
1 Solution
Rakshith
250 likes received 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi MiRo_263836

A pre-programmed PSoC 5LP is not available. You can program PSoC 5LP  for the first time using a J-Link programmer or a MiniProg.

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Rakshith

Hi MiRo_263836

A pre-programmed PSoC 5LP is not available. You can program PSoC 5LP  for the first time using a J-Link programmer or a MiniProg.

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B

Thank you, Rakshith.  What about the 2nd question?

I could use the FX2 (CY7C68013A-56LTXC) implementation on CY9CKIT-030 or -050 with an external EEPROM. Will the PSOC programmer be able to update the blank EEPROM when I first plug it in with a blank EEPROM to the latest version of the programmer?

0 Likes
Rakshith

Hi MiRo_263836

1. PSoC Programmer is a tool designed to program micro-controllers only. It cannot be used to program an external EEPROM.

2. Are you referring to 'CY8CKIT'?

3. As per my understanding, you want to use FX2LP to program an external EEPROM. Please correct me if I am wrong.

You can also refer to this thread - FX2LP based SWD programmer

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes

I am referring to the FX2 based Programmer / Debugger used on the CY8CKIT-030 and CY8CKIT-050.  This was the on-board circuit for eval boards  before the KitProg2 was developed.  The FX2 has an external EEPROM.  Does the PSOC Programmer GUI update this EEPROM just like it updates the KitProg2 FW to the latest version when you run the PSOC Programmer GUI?

0 Likes
Rakshith

Hi MiRo_263836

If the EEPROM is enumerated in the Device Manager you can program the EEPROM using Cypress Control Center Utility Software. The EEPROM with the CY8CKIT - 030 or - 050 is 128 bits and therefore cannot programmed with programming firmware. Please create another thread regarding FX2 related queries in the appropriate section.

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes

I think that you are missing my point. I am not trying to write to the EEPROM.  I am just asking if the FX2 based programmer / debugger on the -030 board will work with a blank EEPROM.  Does it need to be programmed before I put it on the board?  Will the PSOC Creator Programmer update the EEPROM to what it needs to be to program and debug my PSOC3?

0 Likes

Hello,

The FX2 will load its firmware from the on-board EEPROM every time its powered up. Please refer to the FX2LP boot options Application note, if the contents of the EEPROM are cleared or modified, the FX2 will not enumerate with the desired firmware that is needed.

Best Regards,

Yatheesh

So in either case, something needs to programmed, the P5LP for the KitProg2 or the EEPROM for the FX2 programmer/debugger.  I will go with the KitProg2. It is much more flexible with the USB to Serial options.

Thank you.

0 Likes