BLE Device Discoverable on iOS Devices (CYBT-333047-02)

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
KaGo_4359196
Level 3
Level 3
First like given Welcome!

When the BLE device is advertising, it can be found normally by Android and iOS phones with apps such as CySmart and Lightblue. However, when I use the Bluetooth on the phone without these apps, only Android devices discover the device; iOS devices do not. How do I make the BLE device discoverable by iOS devices?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Owen_Zhang123
5 questions asked 500 solutions authored 250 sign-ins

Per my test on the IOS device, if you want the device to be discovered by the iphone, the advertising packet must include a heart rate service UUID(0x180D) no matter whether you really have a heart rate service in the GATT database. I think this is a limitation on the IOS devices.

View solution in original post

26 Replies
Owen_Zhang123
5 questions asked 500 solutions authored 250 sign-ins

Per my test on the IOS device, if you want the device to be discovered by the iphone, the advertising packet must include a heart rate service UUID(0x180D) no matter whether you really have a heart rate service in the GATT database. I think this is a limitation on the IOS devices.

Hello

Thank you for your reply.

I am not able to understand where exactly I should include the advertising packet . Can you please help me with that ?

0 Likes

Are you using the EZ Serial firmware platform or developing your own firmware?

0 Likes

I am not using EZ serial platform. I am using wiced studo. Recently I get to know about this EZ serial firmware. I will go through with it and I will get back to you if I need any further information.

Thank you.

0 Likes

I don't understand how to use this EZ Serial platform, could you please help me with it ?

Thank you.

0 Likes

I just checked it and sorry to tell you that there is no EZ-Serial FW for the CYBT-333047. For the WICED module, we only have ez-serial for CYBT-343026 and CYBT-353027.

You can learn more about the ez-serial here: https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/ez-serial-ez-ble-module-firmware-platform

For the module CYBT-333047, you can develop with WICED SDK and we have a lot of demos in the SDK which you can start with.

0 Likes

I got information from cypress technical team that I Can use this EZ serial but I am not able understand how to use it and where exactly I should give those commands. Let me know about it please.

Thank you.

0 Likes

If you are using the KIT board, you can directly input the command through PUART, which is SW5 on the kit.

If you are using your own board, you need to connect a MCU or USB-UART adapter to the PUART interface. You can refer to the schematic of the KIT for the PUART pin configuration.

Right now I am using KIT board, I don't understand exactly how to give the commands. For example I can use Tera Term or some other application but before that I should flash a EZ serial firmware into this kit which is where I am stuck and I am not getting how it can be done. could you please help me with this ?

0 Likes

You can find the EZ-Serial FW here: https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/ez-serial-ez-ble-module-firmware-platform

Where did you get the information that you can use EZ-Serial FW on this module, local FAE or somewhere else? You need to confirm with them which FW to use.

There is no official EZ-Serial FW for this module. You may try to use the FW for CYBT-343026 as they both use CYW20706 device.

For the program, you can use the module programmer to download the FW: WICED Module Programmer User Guide – KBA225060

0 Likes

I got the information from Local FAE and he confirmed that I can use CYBT-343026 FW, since they both are using CYW20706 device.

I will check with the programming and I will get back to you.

Thanks a lot.

0 Likes

To download the FW through wiced studio I should create a maketraget which I am not understanding for this EZ serial FW. But for the examples program it works properly and I can create the maketraget also.

I tried with chipload, wiced module programmer also, still its not working.

The problem is I am not able to access the files from EZ serial firmware. I really don't understand what is happing here ? please help me with this

0 Likes

Please download the EZ-Serial FW for CYBT 343026 (CYBT-343026-01 WICED EZ-Serial FW Image V1.1.14 (.hex, .cgs).zip)in this page: https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/ez-serial-ez-ble-module-firmware-platform

Then program the .hex file to the KIT with Module Programmer

0 Likes

I tried it , it coming as failure.

Screenshot (6).png

0 Likes

My programming board is CYBT_333047_EVAL, so it that also matters.

I don't have a option to select this board

0 Likes

Please programm the Kit in recover mode by:

1. Press and hold RECOVER button(SW2)

2. Press RESET button (SW1)

3. Release RESET button

4. After 1 second, release RECOVER button

Then programm the kit with module programmer by with baudrate 115200 and flow control on. Select module name CYBT-343026-01, Programming board UART Adapter Board as follows:

pastedImage_0.png

0 Likes

Thank you so much it worked.

There are two hex files which one I should use to program ? I used .hex file it worked well , for .ota.hex file it didn't work

Now to give the commands to the board which application should I use ? Is their any particular application?

0 Likes

Please use the .hex file.

You can use a serial terminal application on your PC to send the command. Please refer to the user guide for details: https://www.cypress.com/file/455966/download

0 Likes

Thanks a lot for all the information and your time.

I will go through with all the commands and if I need any further information I will get back to you.

Thank you so much.

0 Likes

Hello Owen,

Once I downloaded the firmware I can discover the device only in Android but not in IOS devices. Should I do some setting or normally will it be discoverable by IOS devices also?

Thank you.

0 Likes

As I said in my first reply, if you want the device to be discovered by the iphone, the advertising packet must include a heart rate service UUID(0x180D) no matter whether you really have a heart rate service in the GATT database. I think this is a limitation on the IOS devices. Please change the advertisement data and try again.

Thank you for the information. I should change this advertisment in EZ serial firmware or should I write the new one using Wiced studio.

If in EZ serial firmware,Please let me know how can I do this?

Thank you.

0 Likes

Could you take a look at the user guide I send you befer first https://www.cypress.com/file/455966/download​, and refer to chapter 3.4.3 about how to customize advertising data.

0 Likes

I tired to customize it , but when I give this command SAP,M=2,T=0,I=30,C=7,L=0,O=0,F=2, I am getting response as

@R,0009,SAP,020C

020C indicates an error , it means command parameter outside of acceptable range.

can you please explain me what exactly it means and what I should change in order to overcome this error ?

Thank you.

0 Likes

Please refer to chapter 7 about the parameters for each API. If you want to customize your own advertisement data, pelase use SAD. You can refer to 3.4.3 about the data format.

0 Likes

Thank you so much for the feedback. I will go through it.

0 Likes