Condition of repair of BGA ?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
KaOy_2535551
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I want to know how to repair of BGA after soldering.

Could I get the document regarding "Repair of BGA after Soldering?

P/N:S29AL016J70BFI010

Package:48-Pin FBGA

Best Regards

0 Likes
1 Solution
Apurva_S
100 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi Kazunari,

Thank you for contacting Cypress Semiconductor.

The solder spheres cannot be repaired after the soldering process, but rather, the solder spheres will need to be replaced. In other words, the entire BGA package will need to be re-balled.   

I would like to suggest you to consult with a certified assembly house equipped to re-ball BGA packages, using Pb-Free material.

Best Regards,

Apurva

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Apurva_S
100 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi Kazunari,

Thank you for contacting Cypress Semiconductor.

The solder spheres cannot be repaired after the soldering process, but rather, the solder spheres will need to be replaced. In other words, the entire BGA package will need to be re-balled.   

I would like to suggest you to consult with a certified assembly house equipped to re-ball BGA packages, using Pb-Free material.

Best Regards,

Apurva

0 Likes

Hi Apurva,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I understood it .

Please tell me.

Do you mean that The assembly house is Third party?

Best regards

Kazunari Oyagi

0 Likes

Hi Kazunari,

I would like to inform you that there is no Cypress certification required for any assembly house to re-ball BGA packages. However, the assembly house should have BGA re-ball capability. The S29AL016J datasheet should have package solder ball dimensions for the 48-ball BGA (VBK-048) package. Therefore, you may approach any third-party assembly house to re-ball the 48-ball BGA (VBK-048) package, provided that the assembly house has full BGA re-ball capability.

Best Regards,

Apurva

0 Likes