CY8CKIT-059

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
NaJa_4363881
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 10 questions asked 5 replies posted

Hello,

I am currently looking for a Programmer & Debugger for PSoC 4 (CY8C4014FNI-421AT, WLCSP) chip which can pre-program the chip with the I2C Read and Write operations on Power up before soldering it onto a target PCB. I came across the breakout kit CY8CKIT-059, which has a PSoC 5 Kit Programmer in addition to a target PSoC 5 MCU on it. So I just wanted to make sure whether I can use CY8CKIT-059 to program the external PSoC 4 with the code written in PSoC Creator 4.0, via the SWD (Serial Wire Debug) lines before soldering the chip onto the PCB.

Please kindly review and advise me on this concern.

Thanks and Regards,

Nandhini Jayapandian

0 Likes
1 Solution
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Principally that would work, but you'll have to design a PCB with a ZIF socket and some caps. It seems easier and more versatile to program the PSoC4 on your board after soldering.

When using the KitProg from the -059 kit there is a restriction: Power is supplied by the KitProg @5V. The Miniprog3 as an alternative could supply power in the range of 1.86V to 5V or your board can be supplied externally.

You will need a 5 pin interface for

VTARG

GND

RESET

SWDCLK

SWDIO

The benefit is: You have the option to re-program (update) your project.

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Principally that would work, but you'll have to design a PCB with a ZIF socket and some caps. It seems easier and more versatile to program the PSoC4 on your board after soldering.

When using the KitProg from the -059 kit there is a restriction: Power is supplied by the KitProg @5V. The Miniprog3 as an alternative could supply power in the range of 1.86V to 5V or your board can be supplied externally.

You will need a 5 pin interface for

VTARG

GND

RESET

SWDCLK

SWDIO

The benefit is: You have the option to re-program (update) your project.

Bob

0 Likes

Hello Bob,

Thank you very much for the comments. I believe then this should work well for my project.

Wish you have a great day!

Best Regards,

Nandhini Jayapandian

0 Likes

Hello Len,

Thank you too for your comments on whether I can use this board to program my prototype board. It is really helpful.

Wish you have a great day!

Best Regards,

Nandhini Jayapandian

0 Likes
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Nandhini,

Absolutely!   I regularly use the KitProg board of the CY8CKIT-059 to program a project using the PSoC4.  More specifically, I use the KitProg to program the CY8CKIT-049 board.  If you look at the break-away connections of the KitProg and the PROG pins of the CY8CKIT-049 it is a physical and logical match.  As Bob noted, the KitProg supplies 5V.  If you are going to supply a lower voltage, disconnect VDD/VTARG.

Fig 1 - KitProg PROG pins

pastedImage_2.png

Fig 2 - CY8CKIT-049 PROG pins

pastedImage_1.png

Note:  The UART ports of P12.6 and P12.7 and the I2C ports of P12.0 and P12.1 are no longer connected.

Len.

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
0 Likes