How to use cy8ckit-040 as programmer to Program External PSoC 4000?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
AsMa_3150151
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

Dear friends

cypress kit: cy8ckit-040 poineer kit

links: https://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cy8ckit-040-psoc-4000-pioneer-developme...

External IC Details:

cy8c4014sxi-421

PIN 1 : P3.0/SDA/SWD_IO

PIN 2:  P3.1/SCL/SWD_CLK

Datasheet: https://www.cypress.com/file/138646/download

I have cy8ckit-040 development board. i want to use this kit as programmer to program external cy8c4014sxi-421 chip set.

i don't know how to do this.

any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

0 Likes
1 Solution
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked

Hello Ashvin,

Could you please let us know the hardware connection you are using at your end? Also let us know the connections to your 4000 device and screenshots of your error observation.

Note that 16-Pin QFN, 16-Pin SOIC, 8-Pin SOIC packages do not have an XRES pin and hence require power cycle mode of programming which isn't supported on Kitprog. Use Miniprog to program in such cases.

Best Regards,
Vasanth

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
Vasanth

Hi Asvin,

Please check the following application note AN84858.  This application note explains how to implement a host programmer to program a PSoC 4 device.The C code can be ported for your device.

Best Regards,
Vasanth

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an84858-psoc-4-programming-using-external-mi...

0 Likes

Hi, Vasanth

Thanks for your response.

I am all ready referring this doc file. but i am no getting understanding.

is there any step procedure that should i follow?

as i need to update any file to cy8ckit-040? to set as programmer.

as  kit has on board MCU PSoc 5 and CY8C4014LQI-422 . Psoc5 act as programmer to program PSoc 4 MCU CY8C4014LQI-422.

as  i need to program this psoc 4 mcu cy8c4014sxi-421 which setup is made on  breadboard, using kit PSoC 5.

Thanks,

0 Likes

I would recommend you to use a kitprog which is a snap-off part of some of the prototyping kits as the CY8CKIT-043. So there would be no need to tamper with your -040 Pioneer.

Bob

0 Likes

hi, JoMe_264151

thanks for your response and suggestion,

cy8ckit-043 is able to program psoc  mcu?

because as i already purchased miniprog 1 and  cy8ckit-040 for programming another psoc mcu.

but i am not able doing this.

please help me, if possible. as i think i have to connect external PSOC mcu with -043.

1) create psoc project with specific device selection.

2) connect external mcu with -043.

3) upload or program external mcu  using -043.

or i need to do some different procedure to get this done.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Hi,JoMe_264151

I had purchased the kcy8ckit-043.

If possible Please guide me , how should i use it to program

As program.

I read the user manual guide. But do not understand it.

My device is getting recognized automatically, but i am trying to program

It shows unable to program.

Please i am really stuck here.

Thanks

0 Likes
Vasanth

Hello Ashvin,

Could you please let us know the hardware connection you are using at your end? Also let us know the connections to your 4000 device and screenshots of your error observation.

Note that 16-Pin QFN, 16-Pin SOIC, 8-Pin SOIC packages do not have an XRES pin and hence require power cycle mode of programming which isn't supported on Kitprog. Use Miniprog to program in such cases.

Best Regards,
Vasanth

0 Likes

Hi,Dear

Hardware Pin out for SWD Programming :

PIN 1 : P3.0/SDA/SWD_IO

PIN 2:  P3.1/SCL/SWD_CLK

Thanks for your response.

i have cy8c4014sxi-421 of 16-pin SOIC which does not has XRES pin as describe in datasheet.

i had two kitprog of cypress, 1) cy8ckit-040 Pioneer Kit

2) cy8ckit-043

and One cypress Miniprog1 .

is minprog1 able to program it? i had tried it but while connecting to PSOC IDE , it does not show cy8c4014sxi-421 ic.

is there any way to get program upload on cy8c4014sxi-421 using any of this above 2 kits and miniprog1.

Thanks & Regards

0 Likes
Vasanth

Hi Ashvin,

Unfortunately none of the options you have will be sufficient for the PSoC4 device without XRES pin. Miniprog 1 is dedicated for PSoC1 family devices and cannot be used for your device. As kitprog cannot do power cycle mode programming, they are also not a viable option. You may have to use Miniprog3 for your application.

Best Regards,
Vasanth

0 Likes
BiBi_1928986
Level 7
Level 7
First comment on blog 500 replies posted 250 replies posted

Hello.

The cy8c4014sxi-421 16-pin SOIC package has no XRES pin.  This means a Power Cycle is needed to reset the micro.  Unfortunately, this means KitProg won't work (directly) to program this micro/package.  The 5LP on Kit-040 is similar to a KitProg, so it won't work (directly) either.

MiniProg3 programmer/debugger supports Power Cycle.

To use KitProg (or 5LP on -040) as a programmer for cy8c4014sxi-421, the voltage supplied to cy8c4014sxi-421 could be enabled/disabled using KitProg XRES output signal (using transistor(s), voltage regulator with an enable).  However, no guarantee this will work as KitProg might timeout before cy8c4014sxi-421 has entered boot mode.

A word of caution: GPIO P1.6 should not be connected to ground as it acts as an internal XRES during power up.
In device datasheet pinout table, look to rightmost column for P1.6 "alternate" description for SO16 package.  It mentions this pin is Internal Reset function.  Also, read Note #1.  "Must not have load to ground during POR (should be an output)."  If it is used as an input, your hardware must guarantee this pin is logic 1 or high impedance during power up.

I/O System Restrictions in the PSoC® 4000 Family – KBA91258

For PSoC 4000 programming, see:

http://www.cypress.com/documentation/programming-specifications/cy8c4xxx-cyblxxxx-programming-specif...

I know I didn't answer your original question, but now you know it's not a simple solution to use -040 to program cy8c4014sxi-421.

Bill

0 Likes