can you assign a bootloader to just one PSoC 6 core

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GeIo_1586191
Level 4
Level 4
50 replies posted 25 replies posted 10 replies posted

I've quickly read through CE213903 – PSoC 6 MCU Basic Bootloaders, so quite likely to have missed it, but was wondering how to upload a bootloader (using PSoC Creator 4.2) to just one core, to allow for firmware updating in the field, while leaving the other core alone.

Page 6 of the document (under Design Considerations - dual core) suggests that you can do it.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi,

Both Cores access the same Flash memory.

If you want to only update the CM4 code, your bootloader has to be setup to only update the flash sectors assigned to the CM4 Core. So it basically is a partial update of specific flash sectors only. To see which memory is assigned to the cores please check the rom sections in the linker files for each core.

You also have to make sure that your CM0 code knows the CM4 main function address. Either by always writing to the same location or by somehow providing the address to the CM0. Otherwise your CM4 code won't start.

I am not sure if this can be easily implement with the Cypress bootloader, as I haven't worked with it yet.

regards,

Achim

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Alakananda_BG
50 likes received 250 sign-ins 250 replies posted

Hi,

Can you please refer to this document

CE213903 – PSoC 6 MCU Basic Device Firmware Update (DFU)

Please let us know if you have any queries.

Regards

Alakananda

Alakananda
0 Likes

You just replied giving me the same document reference (with updated title) I had the query about...

So, sorry, you have not quite answered my questions directly, which was 1. simply confirm YAY or NAY that you can add a bootloader for just one core leaving the other alone etc. (no issues over shared RAM etc.) and 2. add some specific guidance on how to do it, as I simply don't want to brick my PSoC6 module by using a trial and error approach.

Hence was looking for things spelt out for me. So, I assume then from the document that if I want to flash the M4, for example, then I simply use all instruction related to core1 (and ignore core0) in the document.

0 Likes

Hi,

Both Cores access the same Flash memory.

If you want to only update the CM4 code, your bootloader has to be setup to only update the flash sectors assigned to the CM4 Core. So it basically is a partial update of specific flash sectors only. To see which memory is assigned to the cores please check the rom sections in the linker files for each core.

You also have to make sure that your CM0 code knows the CM4 main function address. Either by always writing to the same location or by somehow providing the address to the CM0. Otherwise your CM4 code won't start.

I am not sure if this can be easily implement with the Cypress bootloader, as I haven't worked with it yet.

regards,

Achim

0 Likes