SMIF Configuration Tool custom config?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
euggersh
Level 5
Level 5
5 sign-ins First solution authored 50 replies posted

I'm trying to use the SMIF Configuration tool to configure the SMIF for my project.  The documentation is poor so there's a lot of guessing, and I'm stuck on something that makes no sense to me.

My design has a W25Q32JV flash chip on it, which is essentially the same as the W25Q32FV which can be selected in the SMIF Configuration Tool.  The twist is that although this part is capable of quad SPI, I'm trying to use it in single SPI mode (which it supports).

When the W25Q32FV is selected in the SMIF Configuration Tool, it's configured for Quad SPI even though I only have SPI-MOSI:MISO Data[0:1} selected in the Data Select field.  The data width for read and program operations are read-only in this tool so I can't change it there.

I figured that the way around this was to select "Create *.cymem file" option from the File menu, and this brings up an "Edit memory" window, but nothing in it can actually be edited.  The documentation incomprehensibly says is "default values can't be changed", so I don't even understand what the point of this window is.

What am I missing here?

0 Likes
1 Solution
NoriTan
Employee
Employee
25 sign-ins 5 questions asked 10 sign-ins

If you specify the "Location" where you want to save the CYMEM file, all fields will be editable.

GS004516.png

It may be easy to start from an existing CYMEM file.  The system provided folder is

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\PDL\3.0.1\tools\win\smif_config\memory

The default folder the user's CYMEM files are stored is specified by the Configurations dialog invoked by the menu item  Option>Configurations...

GS004515.png

As of now, the SMIF configuration tool add a asterisk at the top of the MEMORY name for the CYMEM files in the user memory folder.

GS004518.png

And the asterisk is added to the generated source codes causing fatal syntax error.

GS004517.png

So, the realistic solution is put the user's CYMEM file into the following system provided folder.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
NoriTan
Employee
Employee
25 sign-ins 5 questions asked 10 sign-ins

If you specify the "Location" where you want to save the CYMEM file, all fields will be editable.

GS004516.png

It may be easy to start from an existing CYMEM file.  The system provided folder is

The default folder the user's CYMEM files are stored is specified by the Configurations dialog invoked by the menu item  Option>Configurations...

GS004515.png

As of now, the SMIF configuration tool add a asterisk at the top of the MEMORY name for the CYMEM files in the user memory folder.

GS004518.png

And the asterisk is added to the generated source codes causing fatal syntax error.

GS004517.png

So, the realistic solution is put the user's CYMEM file into the following system provided folder.