I want to Change S25F064L Flash to S70FL01GS Flash on LPC178 controller??

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
MdNa_4387646
Level 2
Level 2
5 likes given First like received First like given

Hello developers Good "Afternoon".....

I want to Change S25F064L Flash to S70FL01GS Flash on  LPC178 controller.

Please help me how can i replace S25F064L  flash to S70FL01GS flash because S70FL01GS  flash .

1)>>How can i interface S70FL01GS flash into LPC1768 because in this flash consist two CS# (chip Select)?

2)>>S25F064L  flash code is compatible with S70FL01GS flash ??

3)>> Please tell me about Starting and ending adress to write and read for S70FL01GS flash .??

Please find my attachment for S25F064L  flash code and please tell me which changes need for S70FL01GS flash .??

Thank You.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Apurva_S
100 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi Md Nasir,

Thank you for contacting Cypress Semiconductor.

1. Please note that S70FL01GS device is a dual die stack of two S25FL512S chips. It has separate CS# pins for both the dies. Hence, for example if you want to access the second die, you need to make the CS#2 LOW. Similarly, if you want to access the first die you need to make the CS#1 LOW. Apart from this, everything else remains same in the way serial parts are accessed.
  2. Kindly go through this migration guide - https://www.cypress.com/file/334026/download  which compares the features of FL-L and FL-S devices. You can use it to see the differences in the command set and status and configuration registers.
  3. I am attaching our low level driver for serial flash devices with this response. It has the code for accessing S70FL01GS devices in the device specific folder. Please note that you will have to implement the code for the HAL layer according to your micro-controller.

Please let me know if you have any further queries.

Best Regards,

Apurva

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Apurva_S
100 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi Md Nasir,

Thank you for contacting Cypress Semiconductor.

1. Please note that S70FL01GS device is a dual die stack of two S25FL512S chips. It has separate CS# pins for both the dies. Hence, for example if you want to access the second die, you need to make the CS#2 LOW. Similarly, if you want to access the first die you need to make the CS#1 LOW. Apart from this, everything else remains same in the way serial parts are accessed.
  2. Kindly go through this migration guide - https://www.cypress.com/file/334026/download  which compares the features of FL-L and FL-S devices. You can use it to see the differences in the command set and status and configuration registers.
  3. I am attaching our low level driver for serial flash devices with this response. It has the code for accessing S70FL01GS devices in the device specific folder. Please note that you will have to implement the code for the HAL layer according to your micro-controller.

Best Regards,

Apurva

ApurvaS_36

Hello Mam,

Thank you for answering.

I am using starting and ending address in code for S70FL512S chips is NVM_START_ADDR = 0x00 and NVM_END_ADDR =0x7FFFFF.

Please tell me starting and ending address of CS#1 and CS#2 chip for S70FL01GS .

Can i use same address for both CS# after selecting??

I am  using 6 pin to interfacing S70FL512S flash (CS#, SO, SI, SCK, VSS and  VCC).

Please help me for interfacing both CS# ?

Thanks

0 Likes

Hi Md Nasir,

Thank you for your reply.

Please note that S70FL01GS is a dual die stack of two S25FL512S chips. Sincere apologies for having mentioned the wrong part number in my previous reply. I have edited my answer now.

1. Since S70FL01GS is a dual die package of two S25FL512S devices, you can access both the S25FL512S chips separately by making the corresponding CS# for that particular chip LOW. The starting and ending address of both the S25FL512S chips remain same, i.e 00000000h to 03FFFFFFh. You can find this information in the datasheet for S25FL512S here - https://www.cypress.com/file/177971/download in the section 7.2 Flash Memory Array on page 44. Which means when you want to access the first S25FL512S chip you make the CS#1 LOW and the starting and ending address for this chip will be 00000000h to 03FFFFFFh. Where as when you want to access the second chip you make CS#2 LOW and the starting and address for this chip will also be 00000000h to 03FFFFFFh.
  2. In order to work with S70FL01GS using Single SPI, you will have to use 7 pin interface, namely - SCK, CS#1, CS#2, SI, SO, VCC, and VSS. The internal connection diagram for these pins is shown in the datasheet of S70FL01GS part on page 3 - https://www.cypress.com/file/233721/download​. The SCK, SI, SO, VCC and VSS lines are same for both dies but the CS#1 and CS#2 lines decide which die will be accessed. Depending upon the requirement in your application you can make the corresponding CS# lines LOW for the required die.
  3. S70FL01GS is a 1 Gbit (128 MByte) part which consists of two S25FL512S chips which are each 512 Mbit (64 Mbyte) in size.

Hope this clears your confusion. If not, please let me know if you have any further queries.

Best Regards,

Apurva

Hello Mam,

Good Morning ,

How  can i erase whole S70FL01GS flash in one attempt ?

And please also tell me minimum erasing time of flash?

0 Likes

Hi Md Nasir,

Wish you a very Good Morning!

As already mentioned, S70FL01GS is a dual die stack of two S25FL512S chips. Hence, full device Bulk Erase via a single command is not supported due to the nature of the dual die stack. A Bulk Erase command must be issued for each die. You can find this explanation in the datasheet for S70FL01GS (https://www.cypress.com/file/233721/download) on page 6.

Now, for the erasing time, Bulk Erase time is defined as a maximum spec, i.e. we cannot guarantee what will be the minimum time to erase the entire flash but we can tell you the typical bulk erase time and the maximum bulk erase time. Since both die will have to be erased separately, the bulk erase timing for S25FL512S is -

Typical - 103 seconds

Maximum - 460 seconds

You can find these values in the datasheet for S25FL512S (https://www.cypress.com/file/177971/download ) on page 109.

Best Regards,

Apurva

Thank you so much mam for immediate response.

S25FL512S devices sector or Frame size is same as S25F064L Flash sector or frame size?

What is Sector or Frame size of S25FL512S Flash??

Thanks Again .

0 Likes

Hi Md Nasir,

The sector size for S25FL512S is : 256KB

The sector size for S25FL064L is : 4KB

Best Regards,

Apurva

Thank you so much Mam.

Your information is very helpful.

You are Great.

0 Likes

Hello Mam ,

Good afternoon, Last Sector Address for S25FL512S = ??? and which Sector is last sector and how many sector in S25FL512S flash.

Starting sector for read and write??

0 Likes

Hi Md Nasir,

You can find this information in the datasheet for S25FL512S device - https://www.cypress.com/file/177971/download​, on page 44 in Table 15.

Last Sector Address - 03FC0000h-03FFFFFFh

Number of Sectors - 256

Starting sector will be sector zero (SA00) 00000000h-0003FFFFh

Best Regards,

Apurva

MdNa_4387646
Level 2
Level 2
5 likes given First like received First like given

ApurvaS_36

When memory size of both Flash is different so how can we use same starting and ending address????

S70FL512S = 8 Mega bytes

S70FL01GS = 128 Mega bytes(In which 2 Die each is 64 Mega bytes).

Please resolve my Confusion.

Thanks Again

0 Likes