When is "poll" test setup timing of AC Chracteristics applicable for S29GL01GT?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
EtAl_1569471
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

S29GL01GT datasheet (002-00247 Rev. *L) gives at §11.4 "AC Characteristics" the timing to follow. Under "Test Setup" column of Tables 42 to 47, the timing is different when in Read or Poll (e.g. for "Output Enable to Output Delay"). It is not clear to me what "poll" is exactly.

Are the "poll" timings to be used only when accessing Data Polling Status ASO? Are they also applicable when accessing the Status Register ASO or in other cases? The "poll" timings are worse than the "read" timings, so we are looking for a way to avoid to take into account the "poll" timings. Note that our application reads, erases and programs Flash (including using suspension).

Thanks.

Etienne

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi Etienne,

Yes, you can ignore the "poll" timings if you are performing only read operation to flash device.

But, please make sure to follow "poll" timings, whenever you check internal device status after a program or an erase operation.

Thanks and Regards,

Sudheesh

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
SudheeshK
250 sign-ins First question asked 750 replies posted

Hi Etienne,

"Poll" operation mentioned in the AC characteristics table refers to both 'polling DQ signals' and 'polling status register' to check the internal state of the flash device. The "Poll" timings should be used for both DQ signal polling and status register polling.

Thanks and Regards,

Sudheesh

0 Likes

Hi,

Thanks for this answer. So, do you agree that if a portion of my SW only reads Flash (only accesses in Flash Memory Array ASO, so is only in Read Mode, no commands issued), the "poll" timings can be disregarded and only "Read" timings be considered? This could enhance the application's performance (while the bootloader would use the slower "poll" timings to program/erase flash). Am I right?

Thanks,

Etienne

0 Likes

Hi Etienne,

Yes, you can ignore the "poll" timings if you are performing only read operation to flash device.

But, please make sure to follow "poll" timings, whenever you check internal device status after a program or an erase operation.

Thanks and Regards,

Sudheesh

0 Likes