Project builds on one PC but not on another

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
NiNo_4154496
Level 3
Level 3
First like given 10 sign-ins 5 questions asked

We have a project that nicely builds on two PC’s (in less than a minute)

On another PC the exact same project takes 1 ½ hour to do the same. On this one two nets seems to be splitted – according to the log – no clue why and cannot find any information about it either.

It is the Code generation step after 35% that takes lots of time (although it is not taking much system resources).

Good Cases:

• No net splitting
  • Have both PSoC 4.1 Update 1 and PSoC 4.2 installed

Bad Cases:

• Net Splitting
  • Fresh PSoC 4.2 installation

Attached is the log info and the environment info for both PC’s. Compare snips below.

One additional problem is that two pins must be left auto assign for the code generation to run, see below.

compare_1.jpg

compare_2.jpg

Net_3941 is the SPI:MOSI net

circuit.jpg

Capture.JPG

0 Likes
14 Replies
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

I noticed from the logs that the environment where the splitting occurs is a Windows 10 OS. The working one is a Windows 7. You said it is working on two PCs. Are those both Windows 7? If not, please let me know the build version.

Would you be able to share your project?

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

We have actually 3 that works now. Just brought up another PC yesterday. So the Project builds nicely on 3 PC's one with Win 7 and two with Win 10.

The failing PC seems to have problems when the UART Component is included.

BTW. The Failing PC has another issue with PSoC Creator. It fails when i try to use "Find all" in a sourcefile it Errors with "Unhandled exception has occured.... File format is not valid. - No clue if it is related.

0 Likes

Can you try uninstalling Creator and then installing it again? Here the uninstall is important, so don't just run install again.

Let me know if it helps solve the issue.

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes
NiNo_4154496
Level 3
Level 3

Uninstall and install does not help. Same result.

0 Likes

In your Windows search bar, type "Event Viewer". Once the app is opened, under Actions, click "Create Custom View". In the dialog box that opens, select "By source" under Filters.

You can check the "All event sources" option. Click OK. Give a name to the event and finish the setup.

Now run PSoC Creator and once it crashes, open the event you created and check for events with process name psoc_creator. It should have more information on the crash.

Please attach the logs here.

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes
NiNo_4154496
Level 3
Level 3

Sorry the Event logger does not accept "all event sources". It complains that the query is to long. I think you need to specify what to log.

-Niels

0 Likes
NiNo_4154496
Level 3
Level 3

Not Sure if it is related but.

While trying to load some of the examples to see what builds and what dont PSoC Creator crashed...

The Event Logger catched this:

Faulting application name: psoc_creator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5a85e2fd

Faulting module name: AcroPDFImpl.dll_unloaded, version: 19.12.20035.4663, time stamp: 0x5cfea9ce

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0003fe81

Faulting process id: 0x2d98

Faulting application start time: 0x01d54b61a64d40a0

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\PSoC Creator\4.2\PSoC Creator\bin\psoc_creator.exe

Faulting module path: AcroPDFImpl.dll

Report Id: 802d4c34-b838-4f4f-a18e-d995698148f7

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Faulting application name: psoc_creator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5a85e2fd

Faulting module name: AcroPDFImpl.dll_unloaded, version: 19.12.20035.4663, time stamp: 0x5cfea9ce

Exception code: 0xc00001a5

Fault offset: 0x00047ba2

Faulting process id: 0x2d98

Faulting application start time: 0x01d54b61a64d40a0

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\PSoC Creator\4.2\PSoC Creator\bin\psoc_creator.exe

Faulting module path: AcroPDFImpl.dll

Report Id: 8d5450f3-adbf-4225-96f1-e45503305af6

Faulting package full name:

0 Likes

Please note that Adobe Reader is a software pre-requisite as mentioned under minimum requirements in the PSoC Creator Release Notes​. Download Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.2  and above and check if it works.

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes
NiNo_4154496
Level 3
Level 3

Adobe Acrobat Reader is installed and when the error occured PSoC Creator had already opened a pdf from another example.

How do we debug the slow build? Can you guide me to select the right events for the event logger?

-Niels

0 Likes

Can you reinstall Adobe Reader and try again? But previously PSoC Creator didn't used to crash right? It used to build successfully.

Why is it crashing now?

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

Dont worry about the Acrobat Reader. I dont think this is an issue, it was just by coincident that PSoC Creator crashed when i opened lots of examples. I have not seen this crash except for this one time.

What i really would like to get help on is why the Tech mapping is so extremely slow on My PC and why it splits nets where as when building the same project on other PC's they run fast and dont split the nets. It is not very comforting that PSoC Creator reaches different solutions depending on the PC Hardware where we build. And it is very annoying that it takes 1 1/2 hour to build.

Can i start PSoC Creator with any additional switches to run it in debug mode, run it from the command prompt or whatever to help investigate what is going on?

BTW i have tried to run cydsfit.exe from the command line, this also runs slow.

-Niels

0 Likes
NiNo_4154496
Level 3
Level 3

When running from the command line i get this response - if this is of any use:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\PSoC Creator\4.2\PSoC Creator\bin>cydsfit.exe -.appdatapath "C:\Users\non\AppData\Local\Cypress Semiconductor\PSoC Creator\4.2" -.fdsnotice -.fdswarpdepfile=warp_dependencies.txt -.fdselabdepfile=elab_dependencies.txt -.fdsbldfile=generated_files.txt -.fdsreffile=referenced_files.txt -p "C:\Source\01-001_Stimulator\Stimulator.cydsn\Stimulator.cyprj" -d CY8C4248LQI-BL583 -s "C:\Source\01-001_Stimulator\Stimulator.cydsn\Generated_Source\PSoC4" -- -yv2 "" -ygs -o2 -v3 -.fftcfgtype=LE

Elaborating Design...

HDL Generation...

Synthesis...

Tech Mapping...

ADD: pft.M0040: information: The following 2 pin(s) will be assigned a location by the fitter: MUX_IN(0), MUX_OUT(0)

[Notice;INFORMATION;LEVEL_0;;VGhlIGZvbGxvd2luZyAyIHBpbihzKSB3aWxsIGJlIGFzc2lnbmVkIGEgbG9jYXRpb24gYnkgdGhlIGZpdHRlcjogTVVYX0lOKDApLCBNVVhfT1VUKDAp;;pft;M0040;VGhlIGxpc3RlZCBwaW5zIHdpbGwgaGF2ZSB0aGVpciBsb2NhdGlvbiBhc3NpZ25lZCBieSB0aGUgZml0dGVyIHNpbmNlIHRoZXkgZG8gbm90IGhhdmUgYSAibG9ja2VkIiBhc3NpZ25tZW50IG1hZGUgYnkgdGhlIHVzZXIu;ODlmYjgxYjgtY2ZkNS00ODJlLWE1MGYtMzc0ZDlhZDA3NTI5;True]

35% Done. Optimizing 'Net_3942'

0 Likes
NiNo_4154496
Level 3
Level 3

Additional info:

The issue seems to relate to the "SPI Master [v2.50]" and "UART [v2.50]" + the pin configuration.

We use the pin assignment: SPI pins: MISO = P0[1], MOSI = P0[2], SCLK = P0[3]

On the Working PC's this can build and is also fully functional afterwards.

On the Slow/Failing PC:

If we replace the "SPI Master [v2.50]" with "SPI (SCB mode) [v4.0]" -  PSoC Creator will complain that MOSI Cannot be assigned to P0[2].

If we change the MOSI to P0[0] everything builds nicely - but cant be used since we have different pinning in our layout....

So it seems that "SPI (SCB mode) [v4.0]" works better, except for the more constrained check on pinning. - But why since we know the HW supports the chosen pinning?

0 Likes

Please note that SCB1_SPI_MOSI[1] is available on P0[0] and not P0[2] which is why Creator complains. Refer to the Port Pin connections table in Page#15 in the datasheet. Make sure you design the schematic taking into consideration the pin connections.

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes