Endurance and data retention for S25FL512SDSMFM010

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ShYa_3490236
Level 5
Level 5
Distributor - Macnica (Japan)
10 solutions authored 50 replies posted 50 sign-ins

Hi,

Regarding S25FL512SDSMFM010, if updating the following area of the Configuration register at every start-up,

do I have to consider the specification of endurance and data retention?

・ Latency Code

・ Puts the device into Quad I/O operation

I'd like to confirm whether this updating affects the number of writes.

Best regards, Shohei

0 Likes
1 Solution
SudheeshK
250 sign-ins First question asked 750 replies posted

Hello Shohei,

It is not recommended to update status and configuration registers of our flash device S25FL512S at every power up. It will use the endurance cycles of status and configuration registers and make them wear out fast. Please see more details about our recommended best practice to update status and configuration register using WRR command in the following application note: https://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an200381-best-practice-wrr-command-spi-devic... .

Thanks and Regards,

Sudheesh

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
SudheeshK
250 sign-ins First question asked 750 replies posted

Hello Shohei,

It is not recommended to update status and configuration registers of our flash device S25FL512S at every power up. It will use the endurance cycles of status and configuration registers and make them wear out fast. Please see more details about our recommended best practice to update status and configuration register using WRR command in the following application note: https://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an200381-best-practice-wrr-command-spi-devic... .

Thanks and Regards,

Sudheesh

0 Likes
ShYa_3490236
Level 5
Level 5
Distributor - Macnica (Japan)
10 solutions authored 50 replies posted 50 sign-ins

Hi Sudheesh,

Well noted. Thanks for the advice.

Best regards, Shohei

0 Likes