CYBT-353027-EVAL none of the examples worked and now the board can no longer be detected

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
RiKi_4319236
Level 2
Level 2

Hello,

Just purchased the CYBT-353027-EVAL board and i can find no documentation about this board, other than the "Getting_Started_with_EZ-BT_WICED_Modules.pdf" document.

Anyways, i tried to download the example "snip.hal.gpio-CYBT_353027_EVAL download". I changed the name as demonstrated on youtube.

Board just locked up and could not be detected anymore.

Detecting device...

********* Detection Failure *************

+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

| The CYBT-353027-EVAL board was not detected. Verify that the device is connected,        |

| power-cycle if necessary to reboot into programming mode, and retry.                     |

|                                                                                          |

| Please see Appendix sections in the Quick Start Guide for common COM port problems.      |

+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Fortunately, i was able to fix the issue following this instruction; https://community.cypress.com/message/164798#164798

When it worked again and i tried another example; "demo.led_control_demo-CYBT353027_EVAL download"

The example didn't compile. I got the errors;

Description Resource Path Location Type

make: *** Usage: <Target string> TRANSPORT=<UART/SPI> FREQ=<xxMhz> .....  Stop. Makefile /20706-A2_Bluetooth line 293 C/C++ Problem

Symbol 'CHIP' could not be resolved led_control_demo.c /20706-A2_Bluetooth/apps/demo/led_control_demo line 204 Semantic Error

Symbol 'HCI_CONTROL_GROUP_LED_DEMO' could not be resolved led_control_demo.c /20706-A2_Bluetooth/apps/demo/led_control_demo line 217 Semantic Error

Symbol 'HCI_CONTROL_LED_COMMAND_SET_BRIGHTNESS' could not be resolved led_control_demo.c /20706-A2_Bluetooth/apps/demo/led_control_demo line 280 Semantic Error

Symbol 'HCI_CONTROL_LED_COMMAND_TURN_OFF' could not be resolved led_control_demo.c /20706-A2_Bluetooth/apps/demo/led_control_demo line 271 Semantic Error

Symbol 'HCI_CONTROL_LED_COMMAND_TURN_ON' could not be resolved led_control_demo.c /20706-A2_Bluetooth/apps/demo/led_control_demo line 262 Semantic Error

Symbol 'POWER_CLASS' could not be resolved led_control_demo.c /20706-A2_Bluetooth/apps/demo/led_control_demo line 214 Semantic Error

Symbol 'PWM_LED_GPIO' could not be resolved led_control_demo.c /20706-A2_Bluetooth/apps/demo/led_control_demo line 140 Semantic Error

Symbol 'WICED_BT_SUCCESS' could not be resolved led_control_demo.c /20706-A2_Bluetooth/apps/demo/led_control_demo line 158 Semantic Error

Symbol 'WICED_BT_USE_DEFAULT_SECURITY' could not be resolved led_control_demo.c /20706-A2_Bluetooth/apps/demo/led_control_demo line 170 Semantic Error

Symbol 'WICED_PWM0' could not be resolved led_control_demo.c /20706-A2_Bluetooth/apps/demo/led_control_demo line 141 Semantic Error

Symbol 'WICED_SDK_BUILD_NUMBER' could not be resolved led_control_demo.c /20706-A2_Bluetooth/apps/demo/led_control_demo line 209 Semantic Error

Symbol 'WICED_SDK_BUILD_NUMBER' could not be resolved led_control_demo.c /20706-A2_Bluetooth/apps/demo/led_control_demo line 210 Semantic Error

Symbol 'WICED_SDK_MAJOR_VER' could not be resolved led_control_demo.c /20706-A2_Bluetooth/apps/demo/led_control_demo line 206 Semantic Error

Symbol 'WICED_SDK_MINOR_VER' could not be resolved led_control_demo.c /20706-A2_Bluetooth/apps/demo/led_control_demo line 207 Semantic Error

Symbol 'WICED_SDK_REV_NUMBER' could not be resolved led_control_demo.c /20706-A2_Bluetooth/apps/demo/led_control_demo line 208 Semantic Error

So finally, i tried a third example; demo.hci_uart_spi_bridge-CYBT_353027_EVAL TRANSPORT=SPI download

However, now I got the same issue again;

Detecting device...

| The CYBT-353027-EVAL board was not detected. Verify that the device is connected,        |

| power-cycle if necessary to reboot into programming mode, and retry.                     |

|                                                                                          |

| Please see Appendix sections in the Quick Start Guide for common COM port problems.      |

But now the unlock procedure as described in https://community.cypress.com/message/164798#164798 does no longer fix the issue.

Can you please give me some advice how to fix the issue and how i can run some examples that do work with this board?

I have used a vanilla install of WICED-SDK Version: Wiced_006.004.000.0061 on windows 10 and the CYBT_353027_EVAL platform was already installed by default.

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

It finally downloaded an app. I used this make target;

demo.hello_sensor-CYBT_353027_EVAL UART=COM11 BAUDRATE=AUTO download

Thanks BoonT_56 and OwenZ_26 for your help!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
13 Replies
Owen_Zhang123
5 questions asked 500 solutions authored 250 sign-ins

First, please update the platform files as the following KBA: Platform Files for CYBT-353027-EVAL – KBA223509 .

Then, try to use the module programmer to program the kit under recover mode: WICED Module Programmer User Guide – KBA225060

Thanks for your reply. I tried this and though it might help in getting the examples working on the CYBT-353027-EVAL, i still have the recovery issue. I cannot download any code to the board now. I still get the detection failure.

0 Likes

Try the following recovery steps:

1) Press and hold "Recovery"

2) Press and release "Reset"

3) Release "Recovery" after a sec

4) Compile and download an app, say Hello_Sensor

Did the above steps work for you?

0 Likes

No that does not work. The recovery procedure has no effect and i keep getting the same issue with every app i try to download.

10:51:15 **** Build of configuration Release for project 20706-A2_Bluetooth ****

"C:\\Users\\rico.KIDR\\Documents\\WICED-Studio-6.4\\20706-A2_Bluetooth\\make.exe" demo.hello_sensor-CYBT_353027_EVAL BT_DEVICE_ADDRESS=random download

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Patches start at                  0x000D0200 (RAM address)

Patches end at                    0x000DE1EC (RAM address)

Application starts at             0x00217A38 (RAM address)

Application ends at               0x00218E59 (RAM address)

Patch size                             57324 bytes

Application size                        5153 bytes

------

Total RAM footprint                    62477 bytes (61.0kiB)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Converting CGS to HEX...

Conversion complete

Creating OTA images...

Conversion complete

OTA image footprint in NV is 70258 bytes

Detecting device...

10:51:27 Build Finished (took 12s.272ms)

0 Likes

Can you insert the com port like below?

demo.hello_sensor-CYBT_353027_EVAL UART=COM5 download

Look up the two serial ports, choose the port number that described HCI UART. It's 5 for my case.

0 Likes

I used this; demo.hello_sensor-CYBT_353027_EVAL UART=COM11 download

Now i get a different response.

11:17:22 **** Build of configuration Release for project 20706-A2_Bluetooth ****

"C:\\Users\\rico.KIDR\\Documents\\WICED-Studio-6.4\\20706-A2_Bluetooth\\make.exe" demo.hello_sensor-CYBT_353027_EVAL UART=COM11 download

Patches start at                  0x000D0200 (RAM address)

Patches end at                    0x000DE1EC (RAM address)

Application starts at             0x00217A38 (RAM address)

Application ends at               0x00218E59 (RAM address)

Patch size                             57324 bytes

Application size                        5153 bytes

------

Total RAM footprint                    62477 bytes (61.0kiB)

Converting CGS to HEX...

Conversion complete

Creating OTA images...

Conversion complete

OTA image footprint in NV is 70258 bytes

Downloading application...

********* Download Failure *************

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

| Follow below suggestions and retry. |

|   1. Verify USB-UART driver is correctly installed |

|   2. Verify SW4 switches are in ON position (CTS, RTS, RXD, TXD) |

|   3. Power cycle CYBT-353027-EVAL and retry. |

| |

| If this problem persists, the serial flash on the board may be corrupted. |

| Follow below steps to reset CYBT-343026-EVAL board to factory default state.                |

| Note: This will erase any user applicaiton in the memory and reset the board to dafulat state | 

|   1. Press and hold RECOVER button (SW2) |

|   2. Press and hold RESET button (SW1) for 1 second |

|   3. Release SW1 |

|   4. Release SW2 |

|   5. Re-program the board |

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Download failed. This WICED platform of the SDK only supports download to 20706A2 device.

11:17:30 Build Finished (took 8s.103ms)

0 Likes

I found this instruction, Maybe the recovery works with th SPI2 CS pulled up, but which connection is the SPI2_CS_N? I cannot find it in the description.

2.    Reset the module or set the module in the recovery mode by following the instructions in the table below:

Reset

Recover

CYBLE-013025-00

Assert XRES to GND and release.

Pull SDA to GND while resetting and then release the signal.

CYBT-353027-02

Pull SPI2_CS_N to VDD and pull UART_CTS to GND while resetting. Release the two signals afterwards.

CYW20706-based modules

Pull SPI2_MOSI to GND while resetting and then release the signal.

CYW20719-based modules

Pull UART_CTS to GND while resetting, and then release the signal.

0 Likes

Yes, you are right. You can find the PIN in the module datasheet. The 353027 module recover operation is different with other 20706 based modules.

0 Likes

Maybe it is a dumb question, but the datasheet says pad7 is SPI2_CS_N. But that is the pin on the module. I cannot trace it down to what hole of the EVAL board connector that is.

0 Likes

I found the pin and ran the recovery again, but it did not resolve the issue. I will submit a support ticket.

0 Likes

It finally downloaded an app. I used this make target;

demo.hello_sensor-CYBT_353027_EVAL UART=COM11 BAUDRATE=AUTO download

Thanks BoonT_56 and OwenZ_26 for your help!

0 Likes
BoonT_56
Employee
Employee
500 likes received 250 likes received 100 likes received

Perhaps you may also want to check that you have two serial ports installed successfully under Ports in Device Manager.

0 Likes

COM ports are ok. I can run the recovery HEX files, but it does not resolve the issue.

PS C:\Users\rico.KIDR\Documents\WICED-Studio-6.4\20706-A2_Bluetooth> ..\wiced_tools\ChipLoad\Win32\ChipLoad.exe -BLUETOO

LMODE -LAUNCHADDRESS 0x00000000 -PORT COM11 -BAUDRATE AUTO -MINIDRIVER platforms/CYBT_353027_EVAL/uart.hex -BTP platforms/CYBT_353027_EVAL/CYBT_353027_EVAL_SFLASH.btp -NODLMINIDRIVER -CONFIG build\hci_uart_spi_bridge_CYBT_353027_EVAL-rom-ram-Wiced-release\hci_uart_spi_bridge-CYBT_353027_EVAL-rom-ram-Wiced-release.hex

Chip reset to address 0x00000000 succeeded

Downloaded 0 code bytes ( 0.0%) and 70971 data bytes (100.0%). Verified 0 code bytes ( 0.0%) and 70971 data bytes (100.0

%).   Current state: Completed successfully

A total of 2 contiguous memory areas were filled:

[FF000000..FF000027] DATA (40 bytes)

[FF003000..FF014512] DATA (70931 bytes)

Total execution time: 20.07 seconds     Net downloading time: 20.06 seconds

0 Likes