How do I use the BLE 4.1 stack instead of the BLE 4.2 stack on a PSOC4 CY8C4248xxx-BL583 part?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
MaSa_4211176
Level 1
Level 1

We have products in the field that use the -483 part (4.1 stack) but the part is going obsolete and we may have to use the -583 part eventually.   But we do not want to manage two separate custom OTA upgrades (very expensive from a qual point of view, not to mention the front end updates required) so we would like to build for the -583 with a 4.1 stack.   I have found that I can OTA -583 code into a -483 and it runs fine except that the device wont connect with the 4.2 stack.  I believe building for the -583 with the 4.1 stack would solve our problem.  Is there a way to replace the BLE 4.2 component with a 4.2 component in Creator (V3.3)?

0 Likes
3 Replies
VenkataD_41
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi Mark,

The firmware for the -583 part is same as that of the -483 part. So it doesn't require any modifications in firmware point of view to move from -483 part to -583 part. You can just change the part number in the Creator to build the project. There will not be any problem.

Also, the BLE spec 4.1 is obsolete. So, we recommend you to use BLE 4.2 for all your new applications.

Thanks

Ganesh

0 Likes

Hello Ganesh,

This is not a good answer.  Please go back and try to understand why I am asking for this.  I know you probably try to quickly answer questions like this but I really need you to focus on the question and understand what is going on.

1) The enormous number of -483 units we have in the field will not work with the 4.2 stack

2) We are in a market where validating/tracking two separate sets of firmware would be unwieldy and VERY COSTLY.  We need to be able to support the -483 and -583 part with a SINGLE IMAGE.

3) A company that obsoletes a part without backwards compatibility is violating the trust of that customer.

If you are not able to work with me on this then please pass this upwards.

0 Likes

To expand upon 2) above, I can OTA  a -583 image into the -483 and run it.  It just need to be built with the 4.1 stack to work completely.

0 Likes