CYPD3120: Clarifications on schematics

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
AbG_4338586
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

We are using CYPD3120 to implement HDMI over type C, in our design and needed  clarifications on the below points.

1. We are supporting source function on USB type C and not sink(However, both host and device functionality is required) and not looking for battery charger function and hence, we have left VBUS pin of CYPD3120 floating. Is this fine ?

2. My understanding is , when HDMI sink is connected to the Type C connector(via type C to HDMI cable), CC pin detects it and the information can be carried to Application processor(HDMI source) and Super speed MUX via HPD of CYPD3120. Is my understanding correct?

3. We haven't planned to provide SWD connector, as I understand we can configure the CYPD3120 over I2C. Any comments?

I have attached the schematics pdf for your reference. Kindly let me know any points of concern in  the schematics.

Thanks and regards,

Abhilash G

0 Likes
1 Solution
YiZ_31
1000 replies posted 750 replies posted 500 replies posted

Hi Abhilash,

1. It is not fine to left VBUS floating. VBUS pin has the function of monitoring VBUS voltage. You should wire it to the VBUS of Type-C port.

2. Your understanding is basically correct.

3. No, CYPD3120 is preprogrammed with USB Bootloader not I2C bootloader.

Regards,
Eddie

View solution in original post

0 Likes
14 Replies
YiZ_31

Hi Abhilash,

1. It is not fine to left VBUS floating. VBUS pin has the function of monitoring VBUS voltage. You should wire it to the VBUS of Type-C port.

2. Your understanding is basically correct.

3. No, CYPD3120 is preprogrammed with USB Bootloader not I2C bootloader.

Regards,
Eddie

0 Likes

Hi Eddie,

Thanks for the information.

1. We shall connect VBUS pin of CYPD3120 to VBUS of type C port.

2. Thank you.

3. We can load the application firmware by connecting CYPD3120 to PC with EZ-PD configuration utility via Type C cable. Is my understanding right ?

Also, kindly let us know if there are any reference/example configurations to be made using EZ-PD utility for HDMI over type C( note: we need both type C usb and HDMI over type C).

Regards,

Abhilash G

0 Likes
YiZ_31

Hi Abhilash,

Yes, your understand is correct. But in your schematic, you did not connect D+/D- of CYPD3120 to the Type-C port. (VBUS is also necessary for power supply)

You can use the "read from firmware function" to extract configuration table from the HEX file released in the website.

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/reference-designs/ez-pd-ccg3-based-hdmi-over-type-c-cable-refe...

Regards,
Eddie

0 Likes

Hi Eddie,

Correct, We have connected D+/- from processor to Type C connector directly. If we have to program CYPD3120 over USB, then we need to connect D+/- signals to CYPD as well.

All that we need is our board to be a USB source of 1A, and capable of being both host and device and HDMI over Type C. Connecting D+/- from processor to CYPD3120 should not affect any of these functionalities. Correct ?

Regards,

Abhilash G

0 Likes
YiZ_31

Hi Abhilash,

Yes, D+/D- will not affect HDMI signal.

What need to mention is that we haven't release any HDMI Alternate Mode SDK. So you can only follow our reference design:

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/reference-designs/ez-pd-ccg3-based-hdmi-over-type-c-cable-refe...

If you want customized HDMI Alternate Mode solution, you should talk to Cypress Sales.

Regards,

Eddie

0 Likes

Hi Eddie,

We are following your reference design.

Since, Cypress haven't released any HDMI alternate mode SDK. Does the firmware for the reference design you have shared work well for HDMI alternate mode along with USB 3.0 function ?

Regards,

Abhilash G

0 Likes
YiZ_31

Hi Abhilash,

Why do you want USB 3.0 function? As you can see, one end of our refernence design is actually a HDMI port, it definitely cannot support USB3.0. Our reference design is a Type-C to HDMI converter actually.

Regards,

Eddie

0 Likes

Hi Eddie,

Yes, your reference design is Type C to HDMI converter. But our design is something similar to the Figure 2 in the link http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slla333/slla333.pdf .

We are using MUX to switch super speed USB signals and HDMI signals and we are using CYPD3120 as PD controller. Your reference design is also similar in terms of enabling HDMI signals over USB.

Kindly confirm if this can be achieved and availability of firmware. We had earlier confirmed from Cypress sales team that this design is feasible using CYPD3120.

Regards,

Abhilash G

0 Likes
YiZ_31

Hi Abhilash,

I'm sorry our reference design cannot meet your expectation.

Theorically speaking,this kind of design can be done with CCG3. But in the case we do not release HDMI related project example, you cannot uese CCG3 here.

Regards,

Eddie

0 Likes

Hi Eddie,

Since, theoretically the design can be be done, I would want to design and test it. How can I get support on firmware ? Do you expect major change in firmware compared to your EVK and reference design.

Reference design has HDMI over type C and EVK has DP alternate mode.

My expected design needs exactly same as DP alternate mode, with the exception that HDMI signals to be routed over Type C instead of DP.

Major concern here is PD controller should get EDID info on CC and provide it to HDMI source(Application processor) via DDC lines, which you have implemented on your reference design(type C to HDMI adapter).

Kindly comment your thoughts.

Regards,

Abhilash G

0 Likes
YiZ_31

Hi Abhilash,

You will need to contact Cypress sales and FAE to evaluate your project so that we may supply firmware support to you.

If your design is DP alternate mode, then it could be done. Becasue all DP alternate mode code are relased out there, you just need to add the I2C related code. But for HDMI alternate mode, we do not have plan to release the code, so you could do nothing to the released HEX file.

Regards,

Eddie

0 Likes

Hi Eddie,

Thanks Eddie.

I am in contact with your FAE team, I shall discuss with them for the firmware support..

Need to add I2C related code: does this mean I2C code for converting DDC signals to the format that can be sent over CC lines ?

I understand that HDMI alternate mode is not released and there is no plan yet to release. However, our design is mostly same as DP alternate mode with code for converting DDC signals to the format that can be sent over CC lines. I expect it to be possible.

Thanks a lot again!!

Regards,

Abhilash G

0 Likes

Hi Eddie,

Can please share the I2C address of CYPD3120 ? I am not being able to find it in the datasheet.

Regards,

Abhilash G

0 Likes
YiZ_31

Hi Abhilash,

You can config the I2C address in the corresponding PSoC Creator componet.

Regards,
Eddie

0 Likes