CYPD3171 - laptop charging - VDM

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
user_4340301
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Cypress,

We want to develope device with Your IC CYPD3171 as DRP. But I have a problem with laptops charging:

- Huawei laptop resets communication after coosing correct power supplu (20V)

- Chromebook selects 5V only and no current is flowing.

There is no problem with charging powerbanks. I tried everything in EZ-PD configuration tool except SVID Value - has it any influence on charging?

Can You help me?

Best regards, Lukas

0 Likes
1 Solution
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hi Lukas,

As per your description, we are difficult to help you specific on VDM. May I know whether you have PD log Analyzer on your end? (Cypress have a similar Tools for Engineer Development, you can refer it. https://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cy4500-ez-pd-protocol-analyzer )

With the PD log, we can help you analysis why Huawei laptop resets communication.

For Chromebook selects 5V only, we also want to take a look PD log. If you want to have a try to see if this is CCG3PA configuration error, you can use Chromebook's adapter to test Chromebook which voltage they are looking for. And then add it into CCG3PA.

Currently, the SVID is not the problem of those case, you can ignore it at firstly.

Best Regards,

Lisa

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hi Lukas,

As per your description, we are difficult to help you specific on VDM. May I know whether you have PD log Analyzer on your end? (Cypress have a similar Tools for Engineer Development, you can refer it. https://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cy4500-ez-pd-protocol-analyzer )

With the PD log, we can help you analysis why Huawei laptop resets communication.

For Chromebook selects 5V only, we also want to take a look PD log. If you want to have a try to see if this is CCG3PA configuration error, you can use Chromebook's adapter to test Chromebook which voltage they are looking for. And then add it into CCG3PA.

Currently, the SVID is not the problem of those case, you can ignore it at firstly.

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes

Hi Lisa,

I ordered CY4500 analyzer. In few days I will place here logs.

Best regards,

Lukas

0 Likes

Hi Lukas,

Kindly update the CC logs.

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes
user_4340301
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Lisa,

I fixed charging issue with Huawei laptop.

Below are logs from CY4500 while chromebook laptop charging (which is not running correctly):

pastedImage_0.png

0 Likes

Hi ,

As per the CC PD log you have shared, it is looks good. The "Good" is means of there are not CC communication error between chromebook laptop and CCG3PA. From the SL#6 REQUEST, we can see that the chromebook laptop requested the first Object position. Which is means VBUS power negotiation is 5V.

You can use CY4500 to catch chromebook laptop's power adapter and to see which voltage chromebook laptop is looking for. And then, you can add this SOURCE_CAP into your configuration table.

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes
user_4340301
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Lisa,

Below are logs from original chromebook adapter, where i noticed that laptop "wants" firstly 5V, and later 20V. It is charging with 2.7A.

pastedImage_0.png

But, in CYPD3171 configuration is added this profile 20V/3A, which is sended in source capabilities message. I noticed that after choosing 5V profile, there is no current flow. Have You any idea what I am doing wrong?

Best regards

0 Likes

Hi ,

There is no further better way I can offer you. Since we cannot assured the root cause of why chromebook is not request the 20V voltage. But you can try below to see if there is any enhancement.

Replace all of SOURCE_CAP of CCG3PA same as chromebook's power adapter.

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes