Wiced Sense beacon for asset tracking

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm interested in building an inventory tracking system and would like to know how many bluetooth beacons (BLE 4.0) can be tracked at one time. I only need their unique ID saying that they are there and transmitting. Since I don't need to connect to any of these bluetooth beacons (only need to see there ID) would it be possible to view a few hundred beacons at a time in a warehouse for instance and alert when a bluetooth beacon has left the area?

Thanks,

David

0 Likes
3 Replies
BoonT_56
Employee
Employee
500 likes received 250 likes received 100 likes received

I think the question here is that for bluetooth to work, the advertiser and scanner must be relatively close, within 10m. It may not be plausible to scan "a few hundred" of them at one time.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply. What about if I set up a scanner for each area (aisle of floor or every 10m) using many scanners spread out to see the beacons?

0 Likes

It depends on how you want to deploy this "wireless tracking" strategy. One way is what you described, using localized scanners to manage/track a much smaller group of addresses. I suggest you talked to some system integrators to design a viable system for your needs.

0 Likes