CY8C4248LQI-BL583 :Incorrect baud rate on UART and BLE not functioning

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
JiSi_2146306
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted 5 questions asked First reply posted

Hello,

We are facing strange trouble on the third revision of our boards.

Below are the observations:

1. Able to correctly flash CY8C4248LQI-BL583 every time.

2. I am setting baud rate for UART to 115200 in firmware and in reality, the baud rate is 96318(83% of expected).

3. Same is the case with I2C Master Clock is also 83% of expected.

4. I used CyDelay(100). And the actual delay is more than 100ms.

5. Earlier I suspected trouble with Crystal. I probed XTALO and XTALI. They seem fine with a sine wave of 24Mhz(Attached scope capture).

6. The device also reset after running for some time(3-4 seconds).

7. BLE is not at all functional.

8. Verified voltages on VDDA, VDDD and VDDR. They are stable.

The PCB revision doesn't seem to change much. The circuit is same just minor layout changes in component placement.

How to debug this issue?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello.

A very mysterious issue.

Can you probe the pads with an Ohm meter (a continuity check this time, not a voltage check) to check GND pads are indeed connected to ground.  Use 1 GND pad as your reference point and verify that all other microprocessor ground pads are connected to that reference point.  Also check ground at crystal capacitors.

BTW, did the previous pcb use 5V or 3.3V?

Bill

View solution in original post

0 Likes
17 Replies
VenkataD_41
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi

What is the device you are using and what is the clock source?

Are there any schematic changes in your Revision 3? Can you please share your schematic once?

Have you followed the Cypress recommended schematic guidelines?

Can you please attach a demo project that reproduces the same issue/

Thanks

Ganesh

0 Likes

Hello Ganesh,

The device is CY8C4248LQI-BL583.

There is no schematic revision just some placement change for decoupling caps on the board.

I did some more debugging. If I select ECO as the clock source, everything works fine(BLE, UART, I2C). But when I switch to IMO the whole CPU is experiencing a frequency shift of 83% of expected value. I am not sure why this issue is creeping in the current revision.

Can it be because of the power supply to IMO? which rail should I check?

Something to do with the chip lot that is present in revision 3?

Calibration of IMO?

Below is the setting that works fine

pastedImage_1.png

However in below setting:

BLE works but other blocks are experiencing a frequency shift of 83% of expected value.

pastedImage_2.png

0 Likes

Hello,

Can someone from Cypress comment here. I checked through TRM and datasheet and unable to get a clue as to what is going wrong.

We are a very critical stage of our production.

0 Likes

Hi,

The IMO works on the rail VDDD. Please ensure that the decoupling capacitors are correctly placed. The 0.1 uF decoupling capacitors should be placed with in 1 cm from the VDDD pins on the IC. The decoupling capacitor on the VCCD pin should be 1.3-µF capacitor.

Are there any changes in the firmware regarding the clocks?

Can you quickly program our development kit CY8CKIT-042-BLE and see whether your code is working fine? This step will tell you whether the issue is with firmware or hardware. If the project is working fine in the development kit, we will check your schematic.

If you do not have our development kit please send us the demo project that reproduces this issue for us to test here.

Thanks

Ganesh

0 Likes

Hello,

Thanks for the inputs. I will check for your suggestions.

Are you from Cypress India?

I can share schematics and pcb files to privately. And I can also ship one board also.

0 Likes

Hello Ganesh,

I checked the firmware by running in Pioneer board. It works as expected.

And the same firmware works as expected in my previous revision of boards.

I tried to swap PSoC IC from earlier version of working board on the faulty board.

It showed same behaviour., Everything works good on ECO. But on IMO it is giving incorrect timing.

I checked voltages on VDDD and VDDR. They are very stable and have a decoupling caps similar to Pioneer board.

Is there anything else I can look for?  I think there is some trouble with the PCB/ layout/components. But if you can point to specific which components i should probe for this drift in IMO it will be helpful

Regrads

0 Likes

Hi Jitendra,

"I checked the firmware by running in Pioneer board. It works as expected.

And the same firmware works as expected in my previous revision of boards."

--> This experiment says that there is no issue with the firmware. Also the previous revision of hardware is fine.

In the present hardware please check the decoupling capacitor on the VCCD pin. It should be 1.3uF .

IMO works on the Digital power supply VDDD. The output of the VDDD will be the VCCD pin.

Thanks and regards

Ganesh

0 Likes

Hello Ganesh,

Earlier i was confused about VCCD. I checked voltage on VCCD pin it is 2.2V in Active mode. And 1.8V in deepsleep mode.

As per datasheet it should be around 1.8V. Why is it 2.2V in my case?

Regards

0 Likes

Hi Jitendra,

The voltage on the VCCD pin should be 1.8 volts. I think the regulator inside the IC got damaged. Could you please check with different IC that gives 1.8 volts on its VCCD pin?

There may be a short circuit on the board that is causing this. Please check whether there is any connection between VCCD and VDDD when the board is not powered.

Thanks

Ganesh

0 Likes

Yes, I verified the voltage on Pioneer kit it is ~1.8V.

I verified there is no short between VCCD and VDDD pin. I have personally emailed to you the design files also.

I checked with multiple custom boards. Same behavior, same voltage.

Are there any other reasons for this change in VCCD voltage?

Does this incorrect VCCD voltage explain the change in IMO frequency drift?

Why is device operating normally when using ECO instead of IMO?

And why after going into deep sleep the VCCD voltage stabilized to 1.8V?

Are there any registers present that control voltage at VCCD?

Regards

0 Likes

Hi Jitendra,

Interesting !! The voltage on the VCCD pin should be 1.8 volts if the power supply given on the VDDD pin is in the range of 1.8-5.5 volts. The VCCD voltage is the output voltage of the internal regulator. It depends only on VDDD.

The behavior of the chip will be random if the hardware specifications regarding the voltage are not met.

Do you have any un-soldered ICs with you? if yes, can you please check replacing them on the development kit and then measure the voltage? This confirms if there is any issue with the IC lot.

If you find that there is a problem with lot, please contact your distributor from whom you bought the ICs to contact Cypress and to proceed with FA case.

Thanks and regards

Ganesh

0 Likes

Hi Ganesh,

I took out one IC from a working board(previous revision) and put it on the revised boards. I got the same results.

The trouble lies with the board. How do I debug it.? I have verified there is no short.

I have already shared gerbers with you. Can you point out something?

0 Likes

Hi Jitendra,

Is the IC's EPAD connected to the PCB ground? Check the connectivity between device EPAD and PCB ground.

On the PCB remove all the components related to PSoC and measure the voltages on the VDDD, VDDA and VDDR pads with respect to EPAD and PCB ground. These voltages should be same as the supply voltage.

Measure the voltage on the VCCD pad. This should be 0 without the PSoC IC.

Please check the above points and update the results to move further.

Thanks

Ganesh

Hello Ganesh,

The Epad is connected to Ground.

I removed PSoC IC from the board and measured the voltages on individual pads.

The voltages are as expected.

voltages_psoc4.png

0 Likes

Hello.

A very mysterious issue.

Can you probe the pads with an Ohm meter (a continuity check this time, not a voltage check) to check GND pads are indeed connected to ground.  Use 1 GND pad as your reference point and verify that all other microprocessor ground pads are connected to that reference point.  Also check ground at crystal capacitors.

BTW, did the previous pcb use 5V or 3.3V?

Bill

0 Likes

I found the issue.
The fabricator had incorrectly placed 1K resistor instead of 0 Ohm between AGND and GND.
Everything was functional but the IMO and VCCD was not correct.

0 Likes

Hi Jitendra,

Thank you for the following information.

"I found the issue. The fabricator had incorrectly placed 1K resistor instead of 0 Ohm between AGND and GND. Everything was functional but the IMO and VCCD was not correct."

Thanks

Ganesh

0 Likes