PSoC 6 Pioneer Kit, ModusToolbox, KitProg3, Blinky demo not blinking

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
RiKw_4278376
Level 2
Level 2
5 replies posted 5 questions asked First question asked

I have a new PSoC 6 BLE Pioneer Kit (CY8CKIT-062-BLE) that I'm trying to bring up with ModusToolbox 1.1.0 (Build ID: 234) on a macOS system.  This is actually my second board; I successfully brought up the first Pioneer board on this macOS system, and have done some development with it.  (Alas, I've relinquished my first board to my hardware-modifying co-workers.) In bringing up this second board, I realized it wasn't talking, upgraded it from KitProg2 to KitProg3, still didn't talk, and decided to run the blinking LED demo. Alas, it still isn't talking. What it is doing is "pulsing" or "breathing" on LED2 (yellow LED below SW3) on about a 1-second cycle; it feels like a PWM demo, which I didn't install.

To confirm that the board is talking to KitProg3, I run 'bin/fw-loader --device-list'. The command reports back,

Cypress Firmware Updater, Version: 2.1.0.52

Info: Connected - KitProg3 CMSIS-DAP HID-1C1417B0XXXXXXXX

Info: Hardware initialization complete (473 ms)

Connected supported devices:

1: KitProg3 CMSIS-DAP HID-1C1417B0XXXXXXXX FW Version 1.10.2946

(I don't know if obfuscating the device address was necessary here, but I saw someone else do it, and more so.)

On opening the configurator, I've confirmed that pin P0[3] is named "LED_RED", which corresponds to the CY8CKIT-062-BLE Kit Guide.

When I launch the code using "Debug (KitProg3)", LED3 (Green) flashes as the code is downloaded. However, the IDE buttons do not show that I can step into or over any code (normally keys F5 and F6); the corresponding buttons are greyed out. Furthermore, the window (pane?) for the thread indicates that there is no debug info available.

mt-blinky-debug-nostep.png

Yet, when the code was built, I can see flags "-0g", "-g3", and "-g" passed to GCC.

Alternatively, I've tried building the Release version. I see these flags passed to GCC: "-Os", "-g".  Launching with "Debug (KitProg3)" looks like what happens when the Debug version is launched. Launching with "Program (KitProg3)", is similar but reports:

** Programming Finished **

** Program operation completed successfully **

srst_only separate srst_gates_jtag srst_open_drain connect_deassert_srst

Info : SWD DPIDR 0x6ba02477

shutdown command invoked

To my untrained eye, this looks fine.  And yet, the blinky demo is not operating. Instead, the pulsing of LED2 is still active.

So now, I am completely stuck... Halp!

0 Likes
1 Solution
SanjeevG_16
Employee
Employee
10 likes received 10 likes given 5 likes given

Hi,

Question: What it is doing is "pulsing" or "breathing" on LED2 ?

The LEDs 1 to 4 belong the Kitprog P5LP module. It is used to program the PSoC 6 chip. LED 2 specifies what mode Kitprog 2/3 is in.

Kitprog 3 supports 2 modes: CMSIS-DAP BULK mode and CMSIS-DAP HID mode.

You observed a pulsing LED 2, the Kitprog is currently CMSIS-DAP HID mode ( as you can see in Picture 1 you attached).

Question: CY8CKIT-062-BLE Board is not talking ?

Noriaki specified that the chip revision is *A (1731 translates to WW31, 2017) , *B revision started later. If you see the Kit website specified here, it says that Rev * A and *B will not be supported in Modus Toolbox.

From second picture you showed, the Programming was successful but still the Board was not talking. This is due to incompatibility of the PDL version with the board/kit revision. *A and *B silicons are not supported in PDL version 3.1.x.

Hope it helps

View solution in original post

4 Replies
NoriTan
Employee
Employee
25 sign-ins 5 questions asked 10 sign-ins

I have confirmed that my Pioneer Kit has completely same problem.

My board is not so new.  The serial number on the sticker is

121-60367-01 Rev 11

1744SO00191

The marking on the PSoC 63 chip is

CY8C634

7BZI-BL

D53ES

1731 63

Regards,

Noriaki

0 Likes
SanjeevG_16
Employee
Employee
10 likes received 10 likes given 5 likes given

Hi,

Question: What it is doing is "pulsing" or "breathing" on LED2 ?

The LEDs 1 to 4 belong the Kitprog P5LP module. It is used to program the PSoC 6 chip. LED 2 specifies what mode Kitprog 2/3 is in.

Kitprog 3 supports 2 modes: CMSIS-DAP BULK mode and CMSIS-DAP HID mode.

You observed a pulsing LED 2, the Kitprog is currently CMSIS-DAP HID mode ( as you can see in Picture 1 you attached).

Question: CY8CKIT-062-BLE Board is not talking ?

Noriaki specified that the chip revision is *A (1731 translates to WW31, 2017) , *B revision started later. If you see the Kit website specified here, it says that Rev * A and *B will not be supported in Modus Toolbox.

From second picture you showed, the Programming was successful but still the Board was not talking. This is due to incompatibility of the PDL version with the board/kit revision. *A and *B silicons are not supported in PDL version 3.1.x.

Hope it helps

That's very interesting. I just received this kit from Mouser. The label on the bottom of the box says:
CY8CKIT-062-BLE Rev *B

1748SO01757

Is there any way I can exchange this board for Rev *C or Rev *D?  I am in Santa Clara, about 4 miles away from Cypress HQ.

0 Likes

You will be contacted by Cypress to provide you with a replacement. Thank you for your interest in Cypress Products.

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes