Charge-through Ethernet

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
VaMi_4247876
Level 1
Level 1
First like given

Hello,

as discussion I have checked, were locked - I'm starting new one.

My question - is there any cheap alternative to "Charge-Through Dongle is also widely known as Multiport Adapter" if I need only Ethernet? I mean I want to charge tablet and use USB to ethernet converter? Maybe there is solution to skip CYUSB3304 and use only CYUSB3610 + charger part?

Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi ,

If you just need one Type-C plug design ( Notes: CCG3 CTD have one Type-C plug and one Type-C receptacle for charging only.)  with charging features. We can understanding your requirements is:

a: Power Source and USB device (This is for Ethernet) on Type-C plug.

>> This design can be implemented by any one of CCG2, CCG3, CCG3PA, CCG4, CCG5, CCG6. If you would like to use CCG3, CCG3 + GX3 is enough for your design. You can start from CTD and GX3 wire to TX1 and RX1 from Type-C plug interface. Meanwhile, the power source of Type-C VBUS, you need make sure this can be wired from your system.

b. Power sink and USB device (This is for Ethernet) on Type-C plug.

>> 1. If your power sink capabilities is lower than 5V/3A, there is reference schematic design with GX3 only can be refer to:

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/reference-designs/ez-usb-gx3-usb-type-c-gigabit-ethernet-dongl...

pastedImage_3.png

>> 2. If you need support power delivery (higher than 5V/3A, up to 100W), you can add any one of CCG2, CCG3, CCG3PA, CCG4, CCG5, CCG6 into above example. 

If you are design a Type-C receptacle and cover above cases,

The additional components for all of above case is 2-in -1 super speed MUX for USB3.0 signals switch as per Type-C plug in orientation. 

Best Regards,

Lisa

View solution in original post

8 Replies
MuthuM_11
Employee
Employee
10 likes received 10 likes given 5 likes given

Hi,

Does your design require display port or any alternate mode?

I hope you have referred Cypress charge-through dongle reference design:

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/reference-designs/ez-pd-ccg3-usb-type-c-charge-through-dongle

Regards,

Muthu

0 Likes

I have checked this reference design, but did not understand if I can use only CYUSB3610 + charging part or I also need HUB CYUSB3304 ? We do not need display port, only ethernet + charging. We want to use tablet with cable plugged in permanently and have ethernet port, that's it.

Thank You.

0 Likes

Hi,

CCG3 contains USB 2.0 PHY integrated which is used as Billboard and FW update interface in charge-through dongle (CTD) reference design. Billboard device is required for dock/dongle/monitor supporting alternate mode(s). As your design does not support alternate mode, Billboard device is not required. However, FW update USB device would be helpful to update CCG3 & CCG2 FW on your design in factory or in field.

FW update device's D+/D- should be connected to D+/D- of Type-C plug if Hub is not present in the design. Also, D+/D- of GX3 also should be connected to D+/D- of Type-C plug if Hub is not present. Both cannot be connected to Type-C plug at the same time.

If we figure out a way to have GX3 enumerate during normal functional case and USB 2.0 FW update device enumerate during other case, then Hub is really not required for your design.

Regards,

Muthu

So, in short - it is either impossible or very difficult. And If I do not want to have any problems - we have to make PCB with all 4: GX3, HX3, CCG2 and CCG3?

0 Likes

Hi ,

If you just need one Type-C plug design ( Notes: CCG3 CTD have one Type-C plug and one Type-C receptacle for charging only.)  with charging features. We can understanding your requirements is:

a: Power Source and USB device (This is for Ethernet) on Type-C plug.

>> This design can be implemented by any one of CCG2, CCG3, CCG3PA, CCG4, CCG5, CCG6. If you would like to use CCG3, CCG3 + GX3 is enough for your design. You can start from CTD and GX3 wire to TX1 and RX1 from Type-C plug interface. Meanwhile, the power source of Type-C VBUS, you need make sure this can be wired from your system.

b. Power sink and USB device (This is for Ethernet) on Type-C plug.

>> 1. If your power sink capabilities is lower than 5V/3A, there is reference schematic design with GX3 only can be refer to:

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/reference-designs/ez-usb-gx3-usb-type-c-gigabit-ethernet-dongl...

pastedImage_3.png

>> 2. If you need support power delivery (higher than 5V/3A, up to 100W), you can add any one of CCG2, CCG3, CCG3PA, CCG4, CCG5, CCG6 into above example. 

If you are design a Type-C receptacle and cover above cases,

The additional components for all of above case is 2-in -1 super speed MUX for USB3.0 signals switch as per Type-C plug in orientation. 

Best Regards,

Lisa

Hi,

It's very well possible. As Lisa had rightly pointed out, GX3's USB (3.0 & 2.0) lines can be directly connected to Type-C plug.

Ethernet_CTD.png

I would strongly recommend having provision for updating CCG3 & CCG2 FW in future through USB based FW update interface as indicated in the diagram (representational purpose only). HS mux is optional.

One way of having either GX3 or FW update device enumerate is based on a external trigger on the product and CCG3 can use that to put GX3 into reset and enable FW update device.

If you do not need the FW update feature for your design, you can do away with it.

Regards,

Muthu

VaMi_4247876
Level 1
Level 1
First like given

Hello,

I have started this post because wanted to find alternative to original Samsung adapter ( Multi-Port USB-C Adapter, Black Mobile Accessories - EE-P5000BBEGWW | Samsung US  ). There is one major problem with this adapter - when power from USB C is gone, ethernet dissapears and after recovering usb-c power - ethernet does not recover, we need to replug cable from tablet every single time. And if we have few hundreds of such devices, every time after main power disturbances we need to reconnect all usb plugs.

Can we solve this problem with Cypress cpu firmware - detect power loss from main supply, then supply ethernet adapter from tablet, after recovering main supply - start charging tablet again?

Thank you.

0 Likes

Hi ,

Yes, you can.

Best Regards,

Lisa