How can I use openocd 0.10.0 with superspeed explorer kit

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
rokc_4342611
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I've got the super speed explorer kit. At present I'm able to use the USB-Serial IC (CY7C65215) acts as a USB-JTAG device by following the CYUSB3KIT-003 SuperSpeed Explorer Kit User Guide.

But I was disappointed to see that the sdk 1.3.4 uses Open On-Chip Debugger 0.7.0 (2013-11-08-13:13) with support for CY7C65215.

Issue is that it does not support rtos aware debug feature of openocd (-rtos auto), which allows me to see all the call stacks of all the threads as opposed to only the current thread.

I was happy to see that openocd 0.10.0, has added support for CY7C65215. Quoting from openocd user manual:

openjtag                                                                                          [Interface Driver]

OpenJTAG compatible USB adapter. This defines some driver-specific commands:

openjtag_variant variant                                                                 [Config Command]

Specifies the variant of the OpenJTAG adapter (see http://www.openjtag.

org/). Currently valid variant values include:

- standard Standard variant (default).

- cy7c65215 Cypress CY7C65215 Dual Channel USB-Serial Bridge

Controller (see http://www.cypress.com/?rID=82870).

openjtag_device_desc string                                                        [Config Command]

The USB device description string of the adapter. This value is only used with

the standard variant.

I tried to use it by downloading the openocd 0.10.0 version. After going through the new configuration option in openocd user guide, I configured it as below(also attached the snapshot):

In the main tab of external tools configuration:

1. Location:

C:\Users\dashy\Desktop\Desktop_folders\USB\Cypress-FX3\openocd-0.10.0\bin\openocd.exe

2. Working directory:

C:\Users\dashy\Desktop\Desktop_folders\USB\Cypress-FX3\openocd-0.10.0\bin

3. Arguments:

-f "C:\Users\dashy\Desktop\openocd-0.10.0\scripts\interface\openjtag.cfg" -f arm926ejs_FX3.cfg -c "openjtag_variant cy7c65215"

Note: arm926ejs_FX3.cfg is the same one which is installed in superspeed explorer kit(C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\SuperSpeed Explorer Kit\1.0\USBSerialOpenOCD\arm926ejs_FX3.cfg)

Initially I faced below error:

embedded:startup.tcl:21: Error: Unknown param: -variant, try one of: -type, -event, -work-area-virt, -work-area-phys, -work-area-size, -work-area-backup, -endian, -coreid, -chain-position, -dbgbase, -rtos, or -defer-examine

in procedure 'script'

So, I removed "-variant arm926ejs" from the config file. This helped to proceed ahead but I ended up in below error related to libusb_open:

Open On-Chip Debugger 0.10.0

Licensed under GNU GPL v2

For bug reports, read

http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html

Warn : Adapter driver 'openjtag' did not declare which transports it allows; assuming legacy JTAG-only

Info : only one transport option; autoselect 'jtag'

Warn : Interface already configured, ignoring

adapter_nsrst_delay: 200

jtag_ntrst_delay: 200

adapter speed: 1000 kHz

trst_and_srst srst_pulls_trst srst_gates_jtag trst_push_pull srst_open_drain connect_deassert_srst

RCLK - adaptive

adapter speed: 1000 kHz

Error: libusb_open() failed with LIBUSB_ERROR_NOT_SUPPORTED

Error: libusb_open() failed with LIBUSB_ERROR_NOT_FOUND

Error: unable to open cy7c65215 device

Attached the scripts used.

Can someone point if I am doing something wrong ? Or provide a working configuration.

Cheers

rohith

0 Likes
4 Replies
Hemanth
First like given First question asked 750 replies posted

Hi Rohith,

Can you please attach the openocd binary which you have tried.

Regards,

Hemanth

Hemanth
0 Likes

Hi Hemanth,

Thanks for responding and sorry for late response.

You can get the binar from below link:

http://www.freddiechopin.info/en/download/category/4-openocd?download=154%3Aopenocd-0.10.0

Regards

Rohith

0 Likes

In my opinion sdk should be updated with the latest version of openocd, as you need not maintain a seperate customizations for cy7c65215 as inbuilt support is already present there in 0.10.0. But it needs winUSB driver for interface 2. It worked unreliably for me a few times. But quite often I find some kind of driver conflict (winusb and cypress driver), so I have given up on it. You can give it a shot since you'll have access to USB experts over there.

My request to you would be, if you can include -rtos feature support in the openocd version supplied with cypress SDK, that to will be great.

At present it does not include it. I guess, it can be easily done with enabling and re-building it.

If you can provide me this build then it'll be a great help.

Thanks  and Regards

Rohith

0 Likes
Hemanth
First like given First question asked 750 replies posted

Dear Rohith,

In my opinion sdk should be updated with the latest version of openocd, as you need not maintain a seperate customizations for cy7c65215 as inbuilt support is already present there in 0.10.0

> We have forwarded your suggestion to our product development team, who will evaluate your query. Thank you for your interest in Cypress products.

Regards,

Hemanth

Hemanth
0 Likes