Installation PSoC Creator on a headless build server

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
david-given
Level 4
Level 4
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins First solution authored

I would like to build my project on a continuous integration system (in my case, Appveyor). I can use CyPrjMgr to build my project from the command line, but to do this I need to somehow get PSoC Creator onto the build machine.

To do this I need two things:

- the ability to download PSoC Creator itself --- the build VM isn't persistent, so this will need to installed every time. This is problematic because the download link (the one here, in my case: https://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cy8ckit-059-psoc-5lp-prototyping-kit-on...) requires a login. Is there another source for this? (I don't believe the licensing allows me to deploy the binary onto the build servers myself.) Better still, is there a version which contains just the build tools and BSP but has no documentation, IDE etc?

- once I have the package, I then need to do a headless installation. Unfortunately actually installing PSoC Creator is a long and laborious process involving many update stages. Is there any way to do a headless installation of it?

0 Likes
1 Solution
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

PSoC Creator (or any CyInstaller based products) cannot be installed through command line on headless environments.

Since your VM isn't persistent, you need to install PSoC Creator on the build machine each time. There is no way around this. Login is mandatory for downloading any type of software setup files. I will check if anything can be done to remove authentication.

Unfortunately, there is no other source nor there is any version with only build tools.

Why aren't the VMs persistent? Any reason?

Regards,

Dheeraj

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

PSoC Creator (or any CyInstaller based products) cannot be installed through command line on headless environments.

Since your VM isn't persistent, you need to install PSoC Creator on the build machine each time. There is no way around this. Login is mandatory for downloading any type of software setup files. I will check if anything can be done to remove authentication.

Unfortunately, there is no other source nor there is any version with only build tools.

Why aren't the VMs persistent? Any reason?

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

The main PSoC Creator installer is InstallShield, which apparently does have headless mode (see Unattended, A Windows deployment system: Unattended/Silent Installation Switches for Windows Apps) but it does require the application developer to support it, and I suspect it won't work.

As for why the VMs aren't persistent... because both Appveyor and Travis-CI (which is the other CI system I'm evaluating) simply don't support it! Also, I really don't want to have to maintain my own VM image; the work (and licensing issues) involved simply isn't worth it.

0 Likes

As I mentioned earlier, we do not support headless installations, so it wouldn't work. Regarding VM not being persistent, agreed.

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes