CY8CKIT-042-BLE-A Dongle Device not supported for use by PSoC Creator. Is there a way to fix this?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
TiBe_4009661
Level 1
Level 1

I want to complete the 'BLE_Dongle_Peripheral_IAS01' demonstration.  The instructions require programming of the Dongle Chip but I'm not able to do this because the device is not in the "select device" database window.

The “Select Debug Target” window shows “KitProg/BLE0D170FB3031D6400” and under this “Cortex-M0”. When I select “Cortex-M0” the side note says “This device was recognized, but PSoC Creator does not support using it at this time.”

I have the CY8CKIT-042-BLE-A. In the quick start guide that was shipped with the kit it says that the chip installed on the supplied dongle is CYBL11573-56LQXI. This matches the silkscreen chip ID on the dongle itself. I cannot find a device with this ID in the “Device Selector” window even with search filters cleared. Is there a way to update the device list in the device selector?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello,

Please install PSoC Creator 3.3 from this link:

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/psoc-creator-software-archive

And try to create the hex for the required PRoC device.

PS: A creator project opened in latest version of Creator will not get opened in older version of PSoC Creator.

Thanks,

Ankita

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
TiBe_4009661
Level 1
Level 1

The problem is with programming the Dongle using PSoC Creator 4.2.

I have downloaded the CY8CKIT042BLEAKITSetup_RevSB.exe file and run it in and selected the Repair option.  This did not add the needed device.

The CySmart 1.3 program recognizes the device and connects just fine.

0 Likes

Hi ,

You can try using a MiniProg3 to program the CYBL11573-56LQXI on CY5677 CySmart BLE 4.2 USB Dongle (BLE Dongle) using latest  PSoC Programmer 3.28.3 as stated on this forum thread too:

Programming a device with BLE 4.2 USB Dongle

Thanks,

Ankita

0 Likes

Hi,

The Red Coloured dongle has CY8C4248LQI-BL583, it doesn't has CYBL11573-56LQXI as target device , its wrongly mentioned in Quick User guide.

You can program this red colored CY5677 dongle with PSoC Creator from the USB port, need not to connect a MiniProg3 for that.

Here is a picture of the dongle that I have:pastedImage_1.png

Here is a picture of the instructions from the cy8ckit_042_ble_a_ble_pioneer kit_guide page 67 that I was attempting to follow.  I see the difference in color but the dongle that I have says that it is CY5677 as well. 

pastedImage_0.png

I was also following the instructions in this article: https://iotexpert.com/2017/05/11/psoc4-ble-central-using-cysmart-dongle/ . The dongle shown in the article is a CYBL-10152-56L.  It is the dark colored dongle like mine but with a different chip.

Is there a way to change the firmware on the dongle that I have to allow it to be programmed via the USB bridge? Or must I buy the Miniprog3 as you suggest? 

Thanks again for your help!

0 Likes

Hello,

Can you please install latest PSoC Programmer 3.28.3 if you don't have it already.

If you don't have Red colored Dongle then, you can program it with PSoC Programmer only not with latest PSoC Creator 4.2.

Can you give it a try and share your observation here.

A screenshot will be good to provide if you are unable to program (or simple Erase all) while using PSoC Programmer with your dongle.

Thanks,

Ankita

0 Likes

pastedImage_0.png

You can see above that the PSOC Programmer is up to date with the latest version and that it is connected properly with the Dongle.  I was able to upgrade the firmware with the Dongle.

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.png

The problem with creating the Hex file in PSOC Creator is that I don't have access to this PROC device compiler.  If I choose another device and build the hex file and then try to program the Dongle with it using the PSOC Programmer I get the following error.

pastedImage_1.png

If there is no way to add this device profile to PSoc Creator then what software is recommended to use to program this device?

0 Likes

Hello,

Please install PSoC Creator 3.3 from this link:

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/psoc-creator-software-archive

And try to create the hex for the required PRoC device.

PS: A creator project opened in latest version of Creator will not get opened in older version of PSoC Creator.

Thanks,

Ankita

0 Likes