PSOC5LP DSI manual routing for 32x32 mux

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
user_294846
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 5 replies posted Welcome!

Hi,

I want to be able to modify the routing for 32 digital signals connected to 32 pins at runtime. All of them output.

User should be able to select which pin has which functionality on the fly.

Implementing this with using the PLDs consumes too much resource (I haven't tried yet but obvious.)

DSI output to pin logic has 4 to 4 mux but I need 32 to 32 mux.

As far as I understand, It's possible with manual DSI routing but the TRM not says enough info about DSI routing.

Is there any document for DSI routing and register details?

Or have you any other resource saving solution for this issue?

IC : PSOC5LP, CY8C5888AXQ-LP096

Thanks, Regards.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Hari
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi user_294846

DSI routing is provided for limited configuration during design time and it is not possible to configure an application like the one mentioned for 32 different routings on the controller.

Thanks and regards
Harigovind

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
BiBi_1928986
Level 7
Level 7
First comment on blog 500 replies posted 250 replies posted

Hello iME.

Hers's the 5LP Registers document ilnk.

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/technical-reference-manuals/psoc-5lp-registers-trm-technical-r...

You'll find the description of DSI register controls.  It's quite a big document!

You mind find it useful to use Creator to map out a couple of output pins.  Then, look at the source code generated by Creator and use that knowledge to create the 32 to 32 mux.

BTW, which doc did you see DSI output to pin logic as a 4 to 4 mux?  Just curious.

regards,

Bill

0 Likes

Hi,

First, 4 to 4 mux is at the DSI output section (19.3.5.1 p158) of the PSoC5LP Architecture TRM.

I checked before the Registers TRM that you sent but It's not clear which DSI register does which connection/function.

If the structure of the DSI connection map is unknown, playing with the DSI registers is too risky because hardware may be damaged I think.

And reliability is another concern.

Regards.

Mete

0 Likes
NoriTan
Employee
Employee
25 sign-ins 5 questions asked 10 sign-ins

I created a project with 16 to 16 MUX as follows.

GS004333.png

GS004334.png

GS004335.png

GS004336.png

This project can be built on PSoC 5LP CY5868AXI-LP035

But so many resources are consumed.

GS004337.png

I concluded that 32 to 32 mux is impossible with this solution.

Regards,

Noriaki

0 Likes

To commutate 32 input lines to the 32 outputs, one would require a matrix if 32x32=1024 transistor switches (P-terms in PSoC terminology). The PSoC5 has only 384 P-terms, which is, apparently, not enough. The 16x16 matrix uses 256 P-terms, which one can observe in the Design Resources meter (272=256+16, where 16 went for Control Registers).

/odissey1

0 Likes
user_294846
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 5 replies posted Welcome!

P-Terms are UDB resources. PSoC creator routes UDB-to-pin by DSI without using UDB resources.

May not be routable each UDB output to each pin. But if we know the limits we can do something.

I have 32 digital output signals connected to 32 pins and I want to swap between each other when needed.

I think PSoC5LP capable of this but I can not do this without DSI routing info.

Regards

Mete

0 Likes
Hari
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi user_294846

DSI routing is provided for limited configuration during design time and it is not possible to configure an application like the one mentioned for 32 different routings on the controller.

Thanks and regards
Harigovind

0 Likes