Coin cell battery attached to solar beacon has no effect

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
RaGe_1908181
Level 1
Level 1
First question asked First reply posted

Has anyone found that a 3V coin cell battery attached to a solar beacon (as per the docs) has any effect at all? I see know difference whether in Timer or Demo mode. I naively thought that the battery would act as a second energy source when the solar cell was not active (in the dark). Can anyone please advise?

0 Likes
1 Solution

I confirmed the same way, and beacon moved.

Could you check coin battery voltage?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
RinoS_61
Employee
Employee
First like received

The waveform when the coin battery is connected as follows.

Look at the red circled part. In the dark, the coin battery voltage is at the output of VOUT1.

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

Thanks much for responding. I have seen those waveforms...from the user guid, with reference to those waveforms "Note that this sample waveform is for the power gating operation mode of S6AE103A is in an Energy Driven Mode"

The beacons have two modes of operation..."Selection of mode using a slide switch (Demo or Timer mode)" Again, from (CYALKIT-E02 Solar-Powered BLE Sensor Beacon Reference Design Kit Guide,Document Number. 002-11317 Rev. *D55 ), I looked through those waveforms. in section 5.1.4.1 Waveform of Demo Mode and Timer Mode.

Here is what happens in practice, in my hands. I have tested this many times and I have six beacons which all work.

1. Beacon is and has been in dark and is not transmitting at all (I assume Vstore1 and Vstore2 do not have a sufficient charge).

2. Attach battery.

No transmission in the same dark environment, regardless of if Demo or Timer mode is set. Move the beacon into light and it transmits normally - and by normally I mean that it transmits as does one in Demo or Timer mode without a battery attached - at least to the best of my evaluation.

THAT is the problem I am having and I admit that it may be my ignorance, but if the battery can not substitute as an energy source for either Vstore1 or Vstore2, what good is it? How does it help?

Anything you can say to help my understanding is much appreciated.

0 Likes

I confirmed the same way, and beacon moved.

Could you check coin battery voltage?

0 Likes

YES! You are correct. I had been using several very old CR2025s. When I replaced them brand new CR2032s, the results are what I had expected originally. I feel a bit silly, but I'm glad that you brought it up. Thanks

0 Likes