PSoC Creator crashes opening projects that worked just days ago

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
dawac_4152356
Level 1
Level 1

A few days ago, attempting to open two different projects that had worked before, I get the crash message:

"psoc_creator.exe has stopped working"

"A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Please close the program"

I am on Windows 10 64 bit.  I made no obvious changes to the Cypress design suite of programs when the problem occurred.

Uninstalling and reinstalling PSoC Creator did not help.

I think a Windows update happened shortly before this problem, but I do not believe it was between the times it was working and started not working.

I tried to create a new project with my target device, but could not find it (CY8C4 family) in the device list.  I did not create the original projects, so I do not know if another device was used originally or not.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

0 Likes
9 Replies
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

Please check if the crash is related to this issue: PSoC Creator May Crash when Run Concurrently with Visual Studio on Windows 10 - KBA226098

If you don't see the device, create the project using any other PSoC4 device. Once the project is created, go to Tools > Find new devices. After the update, the device should be available for selection.

You can find out which device was used for the creation of the project by right clicking the ".cyprj" file and opening it in a text editor. Inside the file look for a tag labelled "<selected_device/>". For example it should look something like: <selected_device v="CY8C4248LQI-BL483" />

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

Dheeraj,

Thank you for the quick response.  I was able to find my selected device as "CY8C4245AXI-483".

I created a new project with a CY8C4014LQI-422 and that does not seem to crash.

I also did find how to create a project with the correct device, and that does not crash either.

As for your original suggestion, I do not have Visual Studio on this computer, so that would not seem to be a possible solution.

Thank you.

Daniel

0 Likes

As a clarification, since I realized I did not mention it in my original posting, PSoC Creator crashes immediately upon opening the projects, every time.

0 Likes

Can you open PSoC Creator by using the .exe instead of opening the projects directly? Then open any code example of PSoC 4 and let me know if it crashes. Just to ensure this isn't an application specific issue.

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

Dheeraj,

I have done it both ways.  I normally open it through the program and then select my recent projects.

As a clarification, the new dummy projects I created do not crash.  I have two projects that do crash.  One of which is a new version of the other.  I have been actively working on that one, then it started crashing last week.  I also cannot open the project that it was branched from that has not had any modifications for months.

Thanks.

Daniel

0 Likes
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9
Distributor - Marubun (Japan)
First comment on blog Beta tester First comment on KBA

Hi,

IMHO, since the "project" is composed from many kind of files,

there is/are time some of the file(s) is corrupted by accident.

And it shows various symptom depending on the corrupted file and the type of corruption.

Some just crashes PSoC Creator, but some refuses the debugger, and so on.

Usually the best method to recover from this is "use the latest working backup"

But in case you have not backed up the project, I'd suggest

(1) Create a new project with the same device

(2) In the new project select "main.c" and remove main.c from the project

by selecting "main.c" in the Workspace Explorer and select "Remove from <project_name>"

(3) copy all source files you created including "main.c" and "*.[ch]" to the folder of new project.

Note, this does not include "Generated_Source".

(4) Select "Source Files" in the Workspace Explorer and use "Add > Existing Item.." to select and add your source file (*.c)

(5) In case you have Header Files do similar with "Header Files"

(6) Re-create the schematic and pin assignment.

(7) Then build the project.

moto

0 Likes

Motoo,

I was hoping to avoid recreating everything from scratch, as you suggest.  If I have to do that, I will.

As for your backup suggestion, I am working on revision 5 of this particular firmware.  The revision 5 project stopped opening.  The revision 4 project that has not been changed in ~1 year stopped opening.  The revision 3 project that has not been changed in longer than that stopped working.  So this is not a problem of a recent change corrupting the project.

One thing that just occurred to me, I did update my Keil license possibly right before this started happening.  Does anyone know where that license information is stored so that I could possibly wipe it out if that is causing trouble?

Thanks.

Daniel

0 Likes
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9

Dear Daniel-san,

I assume that you can not post the project, right?

May be with opening a support case and submitting your project to Cypress Technical Support can help your situation.

In terms of Keil, as far as I see in my PC, following files/folder seems to have something to do with MDK KEIL,

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\PSoC Creator\4.2\PSoC Creator\import\keil\pk51\9.51\

I tried execute "UV4\Uv4.exe" under the folder above as an administrator.

And from Menu File > License Management..

UV4_Menu_License.JPG

I could call up the license management dialog

License_mg.JPG

Needless to say, please proceed at your own risk, though.

Best Regards,

3-Jul-2019

Motoo Tanaka

0 Likes
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9

Dear Daniel-san,

A couple of more things I would try

(1) From PSoC Creator, start "Update Manager" and update all outdated modules

000-Update-Manager.JPG

(2) Download and Install the newest PSoC Programmer

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/psoc-programmer-archive

And if none of the KEIL License matter and (1) and (2) above works,

If I were you, I would start from scratch by coping the source and header files.

Best Regards,

3-Jul-2019

Motoo Tanaka

0 Likes