Best path using DMA to transfer 100kB from sram into tcpwm configured PWM?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GaLo_4308236
Level 1
Level 1
First like given

Looks like a single X loop of DMA transfers tops out at 256?

Does this mean updating the DMA config, in thread or interrupt context, before the transfer completes;

such that the source address is moved to the address where the current complete transfer will end?

0 Likes
1 Solution
AchimE_41
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins First comment on KBA

Hi,

you can use a YX loop that way you can increment the source address in each Y loop by 256 and the Y loop can run also 256 times.

So you can cover 256*256=~65k transfers with a single descriptor.

If that isn't enough, you can build a chain of different descriptors, that are executed after each other, resulting in an almost infinite amount of data transfers.

Achim

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ShipingW_81
500 replies posted 250 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Yes, the max number of data elements for X loop is 256.

Not quite clear about the details of your question. Anyway, it's not recommended to update the DMA config while the current transfer is executing.

Below is a code example demonstrating a data flow from RAM to PWM through DMA. Maybe it's helpful to your application -

ce218553-psoc-r-6-mcu-pwm-triggering-dma-channel

0 Likes
AchimE_41
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins First comment on KBA

Hi,

you can use a YX loop that way you can increment the source address in each Y loop by 256 and the Y loop can run also 256 times.

So you can cover 256*256=~65k transfers with a single descriptor.

If that isn't enough, you can build a chain of different descriptors, that are executed after each other, resulting in an almost infinite amount of data transfers.

Achim

Exactly what I was asking for.

Any example that shows descriptor chaining to achieve larger DMA transfers like this?

0 Likes

Hi,

I dont think there is an example yet, so I have attached a simple mockup with hardware configuration for both single DMA using two descriptors and two DMA channels chained together using the trigger input/output signals.

Software is just limited to a simple setup of the addresses for the rest there should be no difference to regular DMAs.

regards,

Achim

0 Likes

Example is helpful. I'm close.

However for my own and others future reference do you have an example handy for the Modus IDE?

I'm using the PSOC 6 Wi-Fi BT Prototype Board.

0 Likes

There is a DMA example for the WiFi-BT prototype kit. Download or clone the example repository from GitHub

https://github.com/cypresssemiconductorco/Code-Examples-for-the-ModusToolbox-PSoC-6-SDK

That puts all the examples in a folder/repository on your machine. Look for CE218552 in the example repo. It is built for ModusToolbox 1.1 and the WiFi-BT prototype kit and won't work for the other kits.

I'll reply more extensively about porting an example to another kit on the GitHub issue on this topic.

HTH!

Jim