More information about driver reselling process

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
AvAh_1250071
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We designed a device that uses Cypress CY7C68013 chip in order to initiate USB2 high speed communication (30MB/s throughput).

We want our users to be able to use the device with Windows 10 64 bit and 32 bit operating systems.

The installation should be plug-and-play, so as the user connects the device to the PC, Windows 10 should recognize it (using it's VID and PID numbers) and provide the drivers from Windows Update.

The driver that Cypress provides (CyUsb3) works for our device and the only change we have to make is to change the VID and PID numbers in the INF file.

As far as we understand, when the INF file is changed, the driver files should be re-signed using EV code signing certificate.

I wonder how does the driver-reselling service works and how can it help us?

We have the following questions:

1. Do we have to provide you the modified INF file?

2. Do you sign the driver files (SYS, INF, etc.) and create a new CAT file as part of the service?

3. Do we have to provide the EV code signing certificate for the signing process?

4. Does Cypress send the signed drivers for WHQL certification? Who does this part?

5. How can we apply to the sevice?

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello,

- Driver resell is done free of cost and there are no charges.

- The INF file needs to be modified to include your custom VID/PID/Strings and shared to Cypress for verification.

- Cypress shares the WHQL test logs through the Microsoft Hardware Dashboard to your organisation's dashboard account for certification.

- You need to have an account in the Microsoft Hardware Dashboard and an EV certificate to continue with the resell process.

Best regards,

Srinath S

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
SrinathS_16
1000 replies posted 750 replies posted 500 replies posted

Hello,

- The INF file needs to be shared with the added VID/PID for verification.

- Please refer to "Driver Resell" section in CyUSB.PDF document from the FX3 SDK.

Best regards,

Srinath S

0 Likes

I already read this PDF and don't understand how does this reselling process works (by the way I'm using FX2, not FX3).

Does Cypress modify the driver files for me and pass WHQL tests?

How much does it cost?

Thanks.

0 Likes

Hello,

- Driver resell is done free of cost and there are no charges.

- The INF file needs to be modified to include your custom VID/PID/Strings and shared to Cypress for verification.

- Cypress shares the WHQL test logs through the Microsoft Hardware Dashboard to your organisation's dashboard account for certification.

- You need to have an account in the Microsoft Hardware Dashboard and an EV certificate to continue with the resell process.

Best regards,

Srinath S

0 Likes

Do we have to make some tests to the hardware as part of the test?

What are the requirements from our hardware to pass the tests (if any)?

Thanks.

0 Likes

Hello,

Driver resell process does not involve any hardware tests. In case you are looking for a USB certification of your board, then hardware tests are required.

Best regards,

Srinath S

0 Likes

Hello,

I'm only looking for signing my drivers after changing the INF file (and the VID/PID). I don't want USB certification at this moment.

Will it work on Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 in 32 and 64 bit operating systems?

After the driver reselling process has finished, and the end customer wants to install the new driver, will he get a nice message like this one:

https://www.davidegrayson.com/signing/img/inf_install_prompt_win8_pgm03a.png

or a scary message like this one:

https://i.stack.imgur.com/bxu7E.png

Thanks!

0 Likes

Hello,

Post the driver resell process, the message displayed as in https://i.stack.imgur.com/bxu7E.png  will not be displayed and the driver can be installed without any warnings.

Best regards,

Srinath S

0 Likes