[SPI_master]Configuration criteria of oversample -PSoC 6

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ShMi_1495391
Level 4
Level 4
50 replies posted 25 replies posted 10 replies posted

What is the guideline for setting oversample ?
Should I pay attention to the actual data rate ?
For example, under the following conditions, Actual data rate is 2000 kbps only when oversample is "5".
・Clk_Peri  : 50[MHz]
・Data rate : 2000[kbps]

pastedImage_0.png

When [Clk_Peri / (Data rate * oversample)] is divisible, Actual data rate will be the value as configured.

example) 50 [MHz] / (2000[kbps] * 5) = 5 with a remainder of 0.

Is my idea correct? Also, please tell us about the basis for this.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Yes, you should.

When you decide OVS, you consider the actual data rate displayed on component window.

Note that this actual data rate displayed on component window is just estimation. For more precise data rate, you should consider the delay calculation, as well.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
Takashi_M
1000 replies posted 500 solutions authored 750 replies posted

Regarding following thread, the bit rate is calculated with:

Bit Rate = Input Clock/OVS

Where “Input Clock” is internal clock for SPI module, and OVS is the oversampling setting in SCB_CTRL register.

While, according the SPI component datasheet “SPI (SCB_SPI_PDL) : 002-19376 Rev. *B”,  the Actual Data rate is calculated with:

tROUND_TRIP_DELAY = tSCLK_PD_PCB + tDSO + tMISO_PD_PCB + tDSI

- tSCLK_PD_PCB is the PCB path delay of SCLK from the pin of the master device to the pin of the slave device.

- tDSO is the time from the slave receiving the SPI clock edge at the pin to the MISO changing at the pin

- tMISO_PD_PCB is the PCB path delay of MISO from the pin of the slave device to the pin of the master device.

- tDSI is the setup time of MISO signal to be sampled correctly by the master.

tDSO and tDSI are specified in datasheet.

When tROUND_TRIP_DELAY is calculated, the maximum communication data rate between master and slave can be defined:

fSCLK(max) = 1 / (2 * tROUND_TRIP_DELAY)

in this case, the master samples the MISO signal one half SCLK period after the driving edge.

When the master can sample the MISO signal, one full SCLK period after the driving edge (late MISO sampling), the communication data rate is doubled and calculated as follows:

fSCLK(max) = 1 / tROUND_TRIP_DELAY

0 Likes

Could you tell me the specific case?

I read this explanation in the component datasheet, but I don't understand.

Using PSoC 61, if Data rate is 2000 [kbps] and Oversample is 5,

-Input Clock = 2000[kbsp] * 5 = 10[MHz]

-tDSO = TDSO_EXT+3 * Tscb

= 20 + 3 * 100(Input Clock[ns])

= 320[ns]

-tDSI = 5[ns]

How are tSCLK_PD_PCB and tMISO_PD_PCB calculated and the actual data rate is 2000 kbps?

Also, please let me know if there is a mistake in my calculation or if you need any other information.

0 Likes

Sorry for making you confused by my response #1.

The Actual data rate displayed in the component window is just Fscbclk/ OVS

2000 kbps = 10 MHz/5.

So, Actual data rate displayed in the component window doesn’t use round trip delay in the calculation.

The Actual data rate displayed in the component window is just Fscbclk/ OVS

0 Likes

>The Actual data rate displayed in the component window is just Fscbclk/ OVS

Really?
In the case that oversample is "6";
   Fscbclk = 2000 [kbps] * 6 = 12 [MHz]
In your formula, 12/6 = 2000 [kbps], but the actual display is 1666.667[kbps] in component window.

According to my research, "Data rate = actual data rate" is valid only when [Clk_Peri / (Data rate * oversample)] is divisible.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Likes
  • Fscbclk = 10MHz
  • OVS = 6

Actual date rate = Fscbclk/ OVS = 10MHz/6 = 1666.667 (kbps)

This Actual date rate is displayed in component window.

0 Likes

pastedImage_0.png

I see. I misunderstood Fscbclk. Fscbclk is Nominal Frequency.

I also understood how to calculate the actual data rate. Thank you.

Back to the first question, should I consider only actul data rate when deciding oversample?

0 Likes

Yes, you should.

When you decide OVS, you consider the actual data rate displayed on component window.

Note that this actual data rate displayed on component window is just estimation. For more precise data rate, you should consider the delay calculation, as well.

0 Likes

Thank you for your support.

0 Likes