How many sensors can I have? (CapSense)

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
KaKo_4074056
Level 4
Level 4
Distributor - Marubun (Japan)
First like given First solution authored 25 replies posted

Hello Experts,

I'm considering an application of many buttons with CapSense - CSD in PSoC 4L. How many sensors can I prepare?

According to the PSoC 4/6 CapSense Design Guide (Table 3-3), 68 and 22 sensors are available for CSD0 and CSD1, respectively. However, according to PSoC Creator Component Datasheet - CapSense (Widget Sensing element(s) in Basic Tab), Button Widgets seem to have a limit of 32 sensors per CSD Component.

Does that mean I can prepare max 55 (32 + 22) sensors in PSoC 4L?

Best Regards

0 Likes
1 Solution
Hari
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hello

The limitation to Button widget mentioned in the CapSense component datasheet is for the number of sensors in a particular widget.

The PSoC 4L device supports a maximum of 68+22 = 90 sensors. You can achieve this by adding multiple widgets which can have more sensors.

Please note that in CSD0, if you require all 68 sensors, then the pins reserved for SWD (P3[2] and P3[3] for CY8C4248BZI-L489) must be changed to GPIO by going to the System tab in cydwr and changing Debug select to GPIO. Please refer to this link for more details on this: How to link PSoC 4000 SWD Debug pins P3[1]/P3[0] to SDA/SCL of the I2C component from Cypress Compo...

The maximum number of sensors is also limited by the number of GPIO pins available. Please make sure to select a part with sufficient number of GPIO pins.

Regards

Harigovind

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Hari

Hello

The limitation to Button widget mentioned in the CapSense component datasheet is for the number of sensors in a particular widget.

The PSoC 4L device supports a maximum of 68+22 = 90 sensors. You can achieve this by adding multiple widgets which can have more sensors.

Please note that in CSD0, if you require all 68 sensors, then the pins reserved for SWD (P3[2] and P3[3] for CY8C4248BZI-L489) must be changed to GPIO by going to the System tab in cydwr and changing Debug select to GPIO. Please refer to this link for more details on this: How to link PSoC 4000 SWD Debug pins P3[1]/P3[0] to SDA/SCL of the I2C component from Cypress Compo...

The maximum number of sensors is also limited by the number of GPIO pins available. Please make sure to select a part with sufficient number of GPIO pins.

Regards

Harigovind

0 Likes
KaKo_4074056
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Harigovind,

Thank you for your quick answer. I didn't understand about "Widget" for the button.

Regards

0 Likes
Hari

Hello Kazuhito

CapSense widgets consist of one or more CapSense sensors, which as a unit represent a certain type of user interface.

There are different types of widgets (Buttons, linear slider, proximity sensor etc). In the latest CapSense component (V6.0), widgets support multiple sensing elements. So, you can assign up-to 32 button sensors in a widget.

After this, another widget has to be added and this supports another 32 sensors.

pastedImage_0.png

Please refer to Getting started with CapSense document for more details.

Link : https://www.cypress.com/file/41076/download

Do let us know in case of any further clarifications.

Best regards

Harigovind

KaKo_4074056
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Harigovind,

I understand. Thank you so much.

Regards.

0 Likes