Silicon ID not in database

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ПетарПетровић
Level 1

I need help in what im doing wrong

Can i skip silicon id check?

siliconID.jpgnotINdatabase.jpg

0 Likes
1 Solution

Can you please change your design based on Page#6 in the hardware design guide​?

Please refer to this KBA for more information: Silicon ID Mismatch while Programming PSoC® Devices - KBA221305

If it still fails, then you have a faulty silicon and you need to get a replacement.

Regards,

Dheeraj

View solution in original post

0 Likes
29 Replies
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

Please install the latest PSoC Programmer 3.28.3​ and then try again. It should work

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

Thats the one im already using

0 Likes
ПетарПетровић
Level 1

this have even less sense not recognised.jpg

0 Likes

Can you please go to Help > About PSoC Programmer? Provide a screenshot of the dialog box which mentions all the versions so that I can get more clarity on your software setup.

ppcom.PNG

Also, the hex file (poofCID.hex) you are trying to flash, did you create it using PSoC Creator? Which version of Creator do you have?

Please note: You can only flash hex files generated using PSoC Creator in PSoC Programmer.

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes
ПетарПетровић
Level 1

My dialog box is same as the one you provided, everything is updated

hex was created with psoc creator 4.1.0.3210, two years ago, and it worked fine

i now have 4.2.0.641 version which is latest,

0 Likes

PSoC Programmer follows the Programming Specification for programming devices. You can find it here​.

In Step2, it does a Silicon ID Check where it verifies that the device corresponds to the hex file. It reads the silicon ID from the hex file and compares it with the ID obtained from the target.

For PSoC4, your hex file should read the following values:

silicn1.PNG

But in your case, the detected silicon ID is 0x00 which is incorrect. Can you please verify if you have generated your hex file for the PSoC 4 family itself? Maybe open your project in PSoC Creator 4.2, update components to the latest versions, generate the hex file and then try.

You can't skip the silicon ID check.

Regards,
Dheeraj

0 Likes
ПетарПетровић
Level 1

could it be capacitor issue?

i got a bit high readings 2-4 uF

0 Likes
ПетарПетровић
Level 1

hex is built for silicon id 04 B6 11 93 which is CY8C4245LQI-483 so, the software side is ok

detected silicon id is 00 00 21 93, which does not exists in database

so the solution would be to add this silicon id to database or to find out why does the chip sends this (wrong?) silicon id

everything is connected ok, voltage is also ok,

poof.jpg

is this connection ok?

0 Likes

I have two suggestions.

What is the VDD voltage you are using?  1.8V?  If possible please use 3.3V instead.

Please try to add some pull-up resistors (~4.7k) to the SWD lines.  This workaround was effective when 5.0V power supply is used with MiniProg3.

Regards,

Noriaki

0 Likes
ПетарПетровић
Level 1

neither 1.8v or 3.3v works,

is there any recommendation for third party programmer which can skip silicon id check?

i really need to finish this as soon as possible

0 Likes
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9
Distributor - Marubun (Japan)
First comment on blog Beta tester First comment on KBA

Hi,

I feel a little bit uneasy seeing "XRES" not connected.

May be you've already connected it but in case you have not,

would you try connecting XRES, SWDCLK(P3_3), SWDIO(P3_2), GND  and/or VTARGET with MiniProg3?

And also, I'd like to try Programming Mode "Reset" instead of "Power Cycle"

moto

0 Likes

The programming specification is described in following document.

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/programming-specifications/cy8c4xxx-cyblxxxx-programming-speci...

CY8C4xxx, CYBLxxxx Programming Specifications

There is a flow chart in the "Programming Algorithm" section.

GS004127.png

The silicon ID is check at step 2.  If a third party programming tool follows this document, the silicon ID will be checked.

Regards,

Noriaki

0 Likes
ПетарПетровић
Level 1

same error message with XRES connected

is it possible that the silicon id was not set correctly at factory?

0 Likes
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

I'm sorry that my guess did not work.

But if your board allows, I recommend you to keep XRES connected to the ICE.

Are you getting same "silicon id" every time?

If this changes, we can suspect un-stable hardware by some reason.

And how many devices (or boards) do you have to test?

> is it possible that the silicon id was not set correctly at factory?

IMHO, any device can have some error rate, so if another device shows correct silicon id,

then that particular device might have problem.

And if some or many devices shows the same "strange" silicon ID, either the lot had the problem

or there may be still something wrong with your system, which none of us has been able to reveal.

BTW, this is just yet another idea, but how about lowering the clock speed of MiniProg3?

moto

0 Likes
ПетарПетровић
Level 1

i get the same silicon id every time, i have two boards assembled, and 48 waiting to be assembled

both boards have the same silicon id, clock speed is at 1.5MHz, cant go any lower

0 Likes

Hi,

could you put the part of the schema where the 5 pin connector is?

As in your schema everything is connected to 3.3V, use the selection of 3.3V (not 1.8V).

Have you tested with other Miniprog3? if no, do you have any prototype kit (not necessary for any P4, i.e. kit-059)?

Note: try to reduce the capacitor in Vccd. Not sure that this is the problem, but...

B.R.

Gil

0 Likes
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

(Warning) a hacker style approach follows.

I just tried to create a simple CY8C4245LQI-483 project and tried to build.

The last 5 lines of Design01.hex was

======================

:0200000490501A

:0C000000000204B61193110104B8278916

:0200000490600A

:0100000001FE

:00000001FF

======================

And the line starting with 0C has 04B61193, which is the expected silicon id of CY8C4245LQI-483.

and the last byte 0x16 is the sum of 2's compl.

So I wonder if you copy and make the backup of the hex file and modify the line from

:0C000000000204B61193110104B8278916

to

:0C000000000200002193110104B82789C0

We may be able to fool the PSoC Programmer.

I'm afraid that this is NOT a recommended method though.

And in case this does not work, please don't get mad at me.

moto

0 Likes
ПетарПетровић
Level 1

i have 049 and 059 kits, tried programming it with part of 059 kit, same error

mine line is :0C000000000204B61193110004D0DF2DA3 ,bit different from yours

metadata is then corrupted...

i was going in the same way, then tried editing database file, nothing

then found out that PSoC Programmer uses programming algorithm file to know exactly what to to

so editing CY8C42xx.FLM file could be helpful, if anyone knows how to do it

0 Likes

HI,

if you use Kit-059 (to be exact, the Kitprog -  the small board with USB "pcb connector"-) you can only program with "Reset". "Power Cycle" isn't supported. So, you need to have your board previously powered and to have connected XRES

Sorry, but, are you sure that your connections are correct (between your board and the miniprog / kit )?

Note. In the document of Programming Specifications previously linked, after the 4 bytes than identify the chip, next 6 bytes are: 2 reserved and last 4 are internal (used by Programmer only).

More "hacking" . I think that the file that have the identification is "CY8C4xxx.dat", located in "..\Programmer\Devices"

copy the file (to have a original in safe place"; look for the line with CY8C4245LQI-483 and replace, with the same format, the ID that you have.

I'm not sure that this works, it's dangerous, etc,etc.

I repeat, I've more the feeling that something HW is the problem.

B.R.

Gil

0 Likes

How long are the wires connecting the Miniprog3 5-pin connector to the pcb?  People have found issues when wire-length is over 4.5" (~11.5cm).

Also, do you:

1) connect Miniprog3 to pcb

2) power the target up first

3) and then plug Miniprog3 into PC

The above sequence is used so that Miniprog3 will not try to apply power to the target pcb.  Miniprog3 will detect the voltage at the SWD interface.  See FAQ #8 here:

Troubleshooting PSoC® 3/4/5LP Programming/Debugging Issues - KBA210619

I would connect XRES from target to Miniprog3 and select RESET in Programming Mode.

Most people have success using the 5-pin connector to Miniprog3.  Usually, nobody has success using the 10-pin connector.  It's a long shot, but can you try the 10-pin connector?

Bill

0 Likes
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

A couple of primitive questions came to my mind.

(1) What are the letters written on your device (marking)?

May be, with that information Cypress people can identify the device and its lot.

(2) From whom did you purchased the device(s)?

If they are an authorized distributor, you may be able to ask the replacement

in case the silicon ID is really wrong.

Or may be you can just order a few of these from DigiKey or similar distributor.

And check if the silicon ID is the same or different. (I'm afraid that this add some more cost though)

moto

0 Likes

In addition to the "marking"  please take a picture of the chip surface.

Regards,

Noriaki

0 Likes
ПетарПетровић
Level 1

im sure connections are correct, tried editing dat file, didnt help

wires are 7-8cm, im powering chip using programmer, couldnt connect it using 10-pin connector

markings on the chips are:

CY8C4245          CY8C4245

LQI-483               LQI-483

1625 8 04           1625 8 03

CYP623686       CYP645064

PH1 OC             PH1 OC

116                     058

cant focus camera on such a small surface

chips are not bought from official distributor, because of shipping

official distributors send via couriers (DHL,UPS), and all packages go trough customs,

and here, you cant legally import more than 3 psc of something

(found out that the hard way, they took my first shipment)

but when sent via ordinary post, you can import anything, nobody opens the packages

0 Likes
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

Thank you very much for your taking pain of copying those marking data.

Although I have no clue about the details, I hope that Cypress Folks can look up the information.

Also I'm very sorry for hearing "(found out that the hard way, they took my first shipment)".

moto

0 Likes
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

I just tried to open

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\Programmer\Devices\CY8C4xxx.dat

with my text editor.

The line 25. reads

2,CY8C4245LQI-483, CY8C4245LQI-483, 40, 32768, 3, 04_B6_11_93, 04_B6_12_93, v33

May be we can try changing it to

2,CY8C4245LQI-483, CY8C4245LQI-483, 40, 32768, 3, 00_00_21_93, 04_B6_12_93, v33

moto

P.S. Please backup the original just in case.

0 Likes
ПетарПетровић
Level 1

tried it before, didnt work

i think only editing CY8C42xx.FLM would help

0 Likes
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

> tried it before, didnt work

I'm sorry for my yet another useless post.

> i think only editing CY8C42xx.FLM would help

I took a look at the file, it's Keil compiled binary file and something not quite easy to correctly modify,

unless you have the source code.

Although in these few days I've been trying to find a way to workaround,

I'm getting more and more suspicious feeling the the device you are working on

may not be "CY8C4245LQI-483"

Once I have heard a story about one of our customers who purchased device from an "un"-authorized Chinese dealer.

The device and its marking seems to be correct, but the product built with that device did not work.

After all when they used x-ray, they found that there was no "silicon" in that package.

This time, at least you can read out some ID, so your device surly has some silicon though. 

BTW, I'm just curious but as you posted two different markings

> 1625 8 04        1625 8 03

> CYP623686       CYP645064

Have you tried both types?

I think that currently there are two possibilities

(1) Your board and/or environment have some problem that prevent you from reading out correct ID from correct device.

(2) Unfortunately we have been trying to make bogus device(s) to work

moto

0 Likes

Sorry, but I think you have a device with wrong silicon id. Please contact your distributor to provide you a replacement.

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

Can you please change your design based on Page#6 in the hardware design guide​?

Please refer to this KBA for more information: Silicon ID Mismatch while Programming PSoC® Devices - KBA221305

If it still fails, then you have a faulty silicon and you need to get a replacement.

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes