Are there troubleshooting tips for the UART Debugger in EZ-USB Suite?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
GrCa_1363456
Level 6
Level 6
50 likes received Beta tester First comment on KBA

EZ-USB FX3 Software Development Kit @ https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/ez-usb-fx3-software-development-kit references a “FX3 SDK Trouble shooting guide”, which doesn’t appear to exist.

I’m not able to run the debugger. It may be due to missing the correct arm-none-eabi-gdb.exe file or something I’m doing incorrectly.

Specific Steps:

1. Using a CYUSB3KIT-003 and CYUSB3KIT-003 SuperSpeed Explorer Kit User Guide  @ https://www.cypress.com/file/133836/download, start from section 3.7.1 UART, which initiates a debugging example. All goes well up to…
  2. End of JTAG setup on page 38, I do NOT see the final four “Info : …” lines that are shown in Figure 3-21.

Info : clock speed 1000 kHx

Info : JTAG tap: fx3.cpu…

Info : Embedded ICE version 6

Info : x3.cpu: hardware has 2 ….

1. Step 3 on page 40 asking to select C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-USB FX3 SDK\1.3\bin\arm-none-eabi-gdb.exe doesn’t contain the file. Instead, used C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-USB FX3 SDK\1.3\ARM GCC\bin\arm-none-eabi-gdb.exe
  2. Step 5 on page 41 does NOT appear to “launch”.  I don’t see a second window as in Figures 3-26 or Figure 3-27. The sequentially marked Console items appears to fail @ item 7. Console output attached.

Greg

0 Likes
1 Solution

Greg,

We have provided two ways of using OpenOcd to debug the ARM via Usb Serial Chip.

1. As said in Section 3.7.2 of SuperSpeed Explorer User Guide, we used Zylin Plugin to talk toTarget. The only change is location of arm-none-eabi-gdb.exe is located here C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-USB FX3 SDK\1.3\ARM GCC\bin.

Here once the external toll configuration (RUN->external tool configuration) is done, you need call the .exe of GDB server and pass some commands in Debug Configuration window as shown in Figure 3.23

2. To ease the use of OpenOCD debugging, we used GDB Openocd Plugin which integrates "Running External Tool Configuration, and calling the .exe GDB server and Sending commands. This is provided in chapter 3 of EzUsbSuite_UG.pdf

If you are using the examples provided along with Superspeed explorer kit, please go with 1.

If you are using any SDK example, please go with 2.

Regards,

Sridhar

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-USB FX3 SDK\1.3\ARM GCC\bin

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Keerthy_V
First like given 250 sign-ins 50 solutions authored

Hi Greg,

1)Please install FX3 SDK from : https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/ez-usb-fx3-software-development-kit  .

Once you install FX3 SDK, you can find the FX3_SDK_TroubleShooting_Guide.pdf in the following directory:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-USB FX3 SDK\1.3\doc\firmware

2) Please follow steps mentioned in chapter 3 of EzUsbSuite_UG.pdf for JTAG debugging. The document can be found in the above mentioned directory.

If you still find some issues after following the recommendations in EzUsbSuite_UG.pdf, please probe the JTAG lines and ensure proper signalling.

Regards,

Keerthy

lock attach

Greg,

Please find the attached Trouble Shooting Guide and EzUsbSuite_UG.pdf.

You will find these documents in the FX3 SDK path : C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-USB FX3 SDK\1.3\doc\firmware

Regards,

Sridhar

Keerthy and KandlaguntaR,

The Troubleshooting guide is currently targeted to those individuals who've successfully initiated a working project using EZ-USB.  The document states that "It also serves as a FAQ database for the FX3 SDK". I recommend putting someone in charge of summarizing the issues found related to EZ-USB and FX3 from the community and adding that information to this Troubleshooting Guide.

Please let me know how to learn the concepts of EZ-USB debugging. I'll continue to read the documents and Community Posts and try examples. I hope to report back with a short list of key documents recommended to gain proficiency.

Thanks for your support.

Greg

0 Likes

Hello Greg,

I have followed all the steps in Chapter 3.2 of EzUsbSuite_UG.pdf. I am able to debug successfully. Please confirm whether you have done setting as said in Chapter 3.2.

Note that you should power up the board (SuperSpeed explorers kit) by connecting USB Cable.

Here are my logs:

Open On-Chip Debugger 0.8.0 (2014-12-03-15:43)

Licensed under GNU GPL v2

For bug reports, read

http://openocd.sourceforge.net/doc/doxygen/bugs.html

Warn : Adapter driver 'cy7c65215' did not declare which transports it allows; assuming legacy JTAG-only

Info : only one transport option; autoselect 'jtag'

adapter_nsrst_delay: 200

jtag_ntrst_delay: 200

adapter speed: 1000 kHz

trst_and_srst srst_pulls_trst srst_gates_jtag trst_push_pull srst_open_drain connect_deassert_srst

RCLK - adaptive

Info : clock speed 1000 kHz

Info : JTAG tap: fx3.cpu tap/device found: 0x07926069 (mfg: 0x034, part: 0x7926, ver: 0x0)

Info : fx3.cpu: hardware has 2 breakpoint/watchpoint units

Info : accepting 'gdb' connection from 3333

Info : JTAG tap: fx3.cpu tap/device found: 0x07926069 (mfg: 0x034, part: 0x7926, ver: 0x0)

target state: halted

target halted in ARM state due to debug-request, current mode: System

cpsr: 0xa000001f pc: 0xf001d048

MMU: disabled, D-Cache: disabled, I-Cache: enabled

Warn : srst pulls trst - can not reset into halted mode. Issuing halt after reset.

Warn : NOTE! DCC downloads have not been enabled, defaulting to slow memory writes. Type 'help dcc'.

Warn : NOTE! Severe performance degradation without working memory enabled.

Warn : NOTE! Severe performance degradation without fast memory access enabled. Type 'help fast'.

Warn : negative acknowledgment, but no packet pending

0 Likes

Greg,

In your log, I can see that "Error: CyGetDeviceInfo failed".

Have you done any changes to USB Serial Chip on the Explorer kit?

0 Likes

KandlaguntaR,

Thank you for taking the time to look into the issues I've experienced.

I have not made any physical modifications to the USB Serial Chip.

I do have a PC with to USB 3.0 ports. I bring this up as I've noticed comments indicating most PCs at time of writing User Guides appeared to have only one USB 3.0 port and the finding one Community Post where a similar problem with debug was overcome by slowing a clock down.

My jumper settings are J4  and J5 - off, J2 and J3 - on

I have both USB ports J1 and J8 connected to USB 3.0 ports on my PC

I have Tera Term running and connected to the interface at J8

In addition to the CYUSB3KIT-003 I've been using, I also have a CYUSB3KIT-001 I could try.

I am running Windows 10.

Please download and review the word document I previously attached to see a more detailed list of steps and other areas of questionable actions I may have taken while attempting to interpret and follow the instructions.

Greg

0 Likes

Some Success:

A) Jumper J4 must be installed to bring the kit up into a BootLoader

B) Power must be Cycled at least once with J4 installed.

C) Projects copied from EZ-USB FX3 SDK directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\...) were successfully each put into a Debug session with a breakpoint at main (usually the 2nd through 5th line of main).

D) I was NOT able to run Debug on either project from C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\SuperSpeed Explorer Kit\1.0\firmware\: SRAM_FX3 or USBBulkSourceSinkLED. These both generated a pop-up error:

Problem Occurred

'Launching SRAM_FX3 Debug' has encountered a problem.

Error while launching command: gdb --version

[OK] [<<Details]

Error while launching command: gdb --version

CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the file specified

Note: For each successful initiation of Debug session, I used "GDB OpenOCD Debugging" as described in the EZ-USB Suite User Guide. I was not successful with the "Zylin Embedded debug (Native)" as described in the SuperSpeed Explorer Kit User Guide on either projects from the SuperSpeed or EZ-USB FX3 SDK directories.

Greg

0 Likes
lock attach

Edited:

Hello Greg,

You must operate the Explorer kit in Bootloader mode (J4 is On).

If you want to run SRAM example, you must On J5 as well.

The gdb --version error in SRAM_FX3 or USBBulkSourceSinkLED are due to project settings.

I have changed the project settings .project and .cproject. It is working as expected.

Please test the attached firmware at your end.

Sridhar

0 Likes

Sridhar,

Thanks for the suggestions.

The attached firmware works, although it shows up in Cypress EZ USB Studio as GpifToUsb, a project that was previously working for me.

Are there Technical Reference Manuals for the various base Debug Configurations including GDB OpenOCD and Zylin Embedded?

Can the changes to .project and .cproject that you made be described such that those changes can be incorporated into the projects within Cypress EZ-USB Suite? There’s value in the ability to correct an issue with a project rather than replace it.

The position of J5 does not appear to have any impact on the debug operation of any projects I’ve attempted. Those that failed (SRAM_FX3 and USBBulkSourceSinkLED) continue to fail. Those that worked continue to work.

It may be of note that the instructions in the user guide to create a Zylin Embedded debug (Native) version of a debugger configuration point to a location for GDB debugger where an “arm-none-eabi-gdb.exe” file does NOT exist. I located the “arm-none-eabi-gdb.exe” file at an alternate location.

Greg

0 Likes

>> Can the changes to .project and .cproject that you made be described such that those changes can be incorporated into the projects within Cypress EZ-USB Suite? There’s value in the ability to correct an issue with a project rather than replace it.

We will incorporate these changes in the SuperSpeed Explorers kit example in the next version.

>>It may be of note that the instructions in the user guide to create a Zylin Embedded debug (Native) version of a debugger configuration point to a location for GDB debugger where an “arm-none-eabi-gdb.exe” file does NOT exist. I located the “arm-none-eabi-gdb.exe” file at an alternate location.

Please change the path to arm-none-eabi-gdb.exe in the latest SDK path amd try.

Let me check whether there is any user guide for Zylin Embedded debug.

0 Likes

Greg,

We have provided two ways of using OpenOcd to debug the ARM via Usb Serial Chip.

1. As said in Section 3.7.2 of SuperSpeed Explorer User Guide, we used Zylin Plugin to talk toTarget. The only change is location of arm-none-eabi-gdb.exe is located here C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-USB FX3 SDK\1.3\ARM GCC\bin.

Here once the external toll configuration (RUN->external tool configuration) is done, you need call the .exe of GDB server and pass some commands in Debug Configuration window as shown in Figure 3.23

2. To ease the use of OpenOCD debugging, we used GDB Openocd Plugin which integrates "Running External Tool Configuration, and calling the .exe GDB server and Sending commands. This is provided in chapter 3 of EzUsbSuite_UG.pdf

If you are using the examples provided along with Superspeed explorer kit, please go with 1.

If you are using any SDK example, please go with 2.

Regards,

Sridhar

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-USB FX3 SDK\1.3\ARM GCC\bin

lock attach

I've had little more success with the debug example in EZ-USB Suite User Guide than I had in SuperSpeed Explorer Kit User Guide. I'm sure there is something obviously simple to those proficient in software coding and tools that I'm neglecting.

Following is a brief summary of my steps. Full steps with images are in the attachment.

Specific Steps in attempting Debug Example from EZ-USB User Guide:

1. Using a CYUSB3KIT-003, EZ-USB Suite 1.3.4 and EZ-USB Suite User Guide
  2. Delete workspace from User directory to start with a clean slate.
  3. Follow Chapter 2 sections 2.1 and 2.2 to create a project and import
  4. Follow Section 3.2. After starting Debug, the Console fills up some messages then Errors

Open On-Chip Debugger 0.8.0 (2014-12-03-15:43)

Licensed under GNU GPL v2

For bug reports, read

http://openocd.sourceforge.net/doc/doxygen/bugs.html

Warn : Adapter driver 'cy7c65215' did not declare which transports it allows; assuming legacy JTAG-only

Info : only one transport option; autoselect 'jtag'

adapter_nsrst_delay: 200

jtag_ntrst_delay: 200

trst_and_srst srst_pulls_trst srst_gates_jtag trst_push_pull srst_open_drain connect_deassert_srst

RCLK - adaptive

Error: CyGetDeviceInfo failed

Info : clock speed 1000 kHz

Info : fx3.cpu: hardware has 2 breakpoint/watchpoint units

Info : accepting 'gdb' connection from 3333

undefined debug reason 7 - target needs reset

Error: Target not halted

0 Likes