PSOC Creator IDE edits the wrong tab; how to avoid that?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
JoWi_3984961
Level 4
Level 4
First like received First like given

Is there a work-around for the fact that the PSOC Creator IDE editor seems to make changes to the wrong window when using vertical tabs?

It starts out well, but eventually it gets into a state where you type in a change in one window, and it makes the change in a window you are not even looking at,

so you need to go back to trusty source control to slam it back to where it was.

Is there a way to prevent this horrible situation? 

0 Likes
12 Replies
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

Do you have shared files being used across multiple projects present in the same workspace wherein editing it in one tab might affect the other? Please describe your project setup so that we have a better insight into your problem.

Regards,
Dheeraj

0 Likes

Hi Dheeraj,

No, it is quite simple. One project, several files. I keep the .h on the left, and the .c on the right.

Sometimes I select text with the mouse on the left, delete, and text on the non-left window (hate to use the word right here),

gets deleted. That is when I close down everything and walk away for a while. This is not good. There are several tabs

representing files on the left vertical tabbed window, as well as the other vertical tabbed window.

If I could just avoid the problem, it would be good. Perhaps I need to go to EMACS?

0 Likes

Does this happen often? Did you try restarting Creator to see if this behaviour goes away?

I created the same setup as you described, but the code only changes in the active file. Other files react to the changes (for e.g if a macro is changed in .h file, the .c file says the macro isn't found) but the code doesn't get affected.

Do you have any other software running in the background apart from Creator like Visual Studio?

Regards,

Dheeraj

Cypress Applications Engineer

0 Likes

It only happens after I have been working with many files for a long time. Restarting PSOC creator makes it go away.

Running source control in background, as well as adobe pdf viewer.

0 Likes

After restarting, does the issue still occur after long time usage? Do you see any .NET exception dialog which comes up during usage?

This is going to be a tough one to solve, considering it is difficult to reproduce your issue. Hope you aren't running the project present on a network drive. 

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

Yes it happens. After a couple of hours of using vertical split screen with a handfull if files each. I also drag them from side to side.

I think it had one file open on both sides at once if I’m not mistaken.

Thinking about making my own IDE with Visual Studio Code.

I have SourceTree open while I work.

No net exception.

Just use it to develop a complex project. I know most apps guys do short quick projects in 5 minutes. I used to be apps guy.

For this you need big project snd more time.

Cursor vanishes sometimes. Also control M does nothing sometimes.

Restarting PSOC creator fixes it.

0 Likes

Thank you for the input. One file shouldn't end in two different vertical tabs, that's clearly a problem. We will look into how we can recreate this issue and fix it as soon as possible.

Can you please tell us a bit about your computer specification so that we have the same software setup?

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

Hp pavillion less than year old, windows 10,

all updates installed. Just the home edition.

External samsung monitor. I use multiple vertical tabs, high contrast mode, dark theme, extended displays. Latest best samsung at highest res.

0 Likes

More data for you:

I had (had to quit) a bunch of files open. I highlight some text and hit control-f (find). Nothing happens.

I close all my tabs.

Still nothing.

I close the work area.

UP POPS THE LITTLE FIND WINDOW.. to late!

0 Likes

This is getting to be unusable. Restarted creator and find window pops open and closes immediately

0 Likes

We have forwarded your query to our product development team, who will evaluate your query. Thank you for your interest in Cypress products.

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

No network drives, i use ONLY SSD.

0 Likes