Questions about WIFI credentials stored at DCT

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I have a requirement to read the Wifi password on a WICED device, then pass it to another WICED device using a non-wifi communication link. However, it looks like I always read out a ciphered password of length 64 (using wiced_dct_read_lock), although a plain-text password is written to DCT_WIFI_CONFIG_SECTION (using wiced_dct_write). I am using WICED SDK 3.1.2 and WPA2 security.

Questions:

1. I supposed this is the correct behavior of a WICED device. If not, please explain.

2. How do I get a plain-text password by reading from DCT_WIFI_CONFIG_SECTION?

Thank you!

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wiced replaces the plain text shared secret with the PMK after successful authentication. This is what you're reading out of the DCT. You need to try an alternate approach but I strongly recommend against sharing credentials across the network even with encryption as this creates a huge exploit vector.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wiced replaces the plain text shared secret with the PMK after successful authentication. This is what you're reading out of the DCT. You need to try an alternate approach but I strongly recommend against sharing credentials across the network even with encryption as this creates a huge exploit vector.

bharanee wrote:

Wiced replaces the plain text shared secret with the PMK after successful authentication. This is what you're reading out of the DCT.

This is not entirely correct.

PMK is used only when FIRMWARE_WITH_PMK_CALC_SUPPORT is defined, currently it is only defined for platforms using 43362 WLAN_CHIP.

0 Likes
BaGo_4138971
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I'm using sdk6.1, I want to store 5 wifi credentials in the memory.

In which location i need to store it and how i can allocate memory for it.

Thanks,

Basava

0 Likes