Concurrent Configuration Options besides Soft AP

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quick question.  Are there other configuration options that can be used along with soft access point mode to configure a WICED module to what AP, passphrase, security settings to use?  I see WiFi Direct but my understanding is that it cannot be used along side soft AP mode, have to choose one or the other.  Am I wrong?  Is this described somewhere and I am not seeing it?  I am trying to identify all the ways for a WICED based WiFi module can be configured via its WiFi interface to what AP it should use and I am trying to figure out what methods would best fit my installation, and if multiple methods could co-exist or am I forced to pick just one?  Is there a FAQ or white paper on this?  Thanks.

0 Likes
4 Replies
JaeyoungY_71
Employee
Employee
First comment on KBA 25 solutions authored 10 solutions authored

You can use soft AP mode alongside with client AP mode. You can configure the soft AP / client AP information in the wifi_config_dct.h file in each app folder or if it does not exist it would be in the /include directory.

Check the apsta app to see both interfaces being brought up.

Thanks,

Jaeyoung

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay perhaps it is just me, but how does that help me get a system connected to a specific AP and online?  Let me put this into perspective.  Think about a brand new installation where there is no programmed knowledge of an access point, it is a brand new device that a customer takes out of the box and wants configured to their environment.  The only mechanisms that I am aware of that WICED supports are: WPS button, WiFi Direct and make itself a WiFi access point with a web server.  According to what I am reading these are exclusive, meaning you can only pick and use one at a time, you cannot enable 2 or 3 at the same time, competition for the same resource.  That apsta snip demo does not provide anything extra, the client mode still requires info about an access point for a connection for it to work, which is what I do not have in the first place, and what I need to put this new device online at the customer's location.

So going back to my original question then, I guess there is nothing else I can do, just pick 1 of these 3 and use?  Just want to make sure that I am not missing something.  Thanks.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm wondering if you found a way.  I'm also looking for a way to configure our WiFi devices without turning them into SoftAPs.  I noticed some other devices switching to more like a direct-wifi mode and then receiving essid, passphrase etc. over broadcast.  I think its a combination of WPS and Direct-wifi.  This is more useful when you have a number of devices to configure.  I'm searching for the technical details of this process.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nothing yet.  It is low on my priorities list right now.  Perhaps by the time I get around to it there will be a BLE +WiFi version out and I can use BLE + SmartPhone App to handle it. 

0 Likes