FX3 can't read data from SPI memory

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
KeWa_2323766
Level 4
Level 4
25 sign-ins First solution authored 25 replies posted

I am using SuperSpeed explore kit for debugging SPI port. The SPI port on J7 interfaces a SPI flash memory.  UART at pin 48 and pin 49 is used as debugging port. I tried to read back 256 bytes from flash memory starting at page address 1000 and display values to UART port. Firmware is revised based on example code UsbSpiRegMode. I found that the process is stuck at the reading status register. It is not able command the write enable properly. The RDSR value would be 0x00 all the time. The MISO is always low observed by Oscilloscope.

To confirm the hardware, firmware image is downloaded to SPI memory when FX3 is configured to USB boot mode. FX3 can boot properly from SPI memory it is configured to boot from SPI. But one thing I can't understand, I was not able to detect any signal on MISO at power on booting from SPI.

Code is attached.

Thanks in advance for any help.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello,

You can use the Cypress USB Control Center that comes along with the FX3 SDK to implement vendor commands. The data that is read back from the device can also be seen on the application.

The utility can be found in the following path after the installation of FX3 SDK.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-USB FX3 SDK\1.3\application\c_sharp\controlcenter\bin\Release

Best regards,

Srinath S

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
SrinathS_16
1000 replies posted 750 replies posted 500 replies posted

Hello,

- On the SuperSpeed explorer kit, please let me know how did you perform SPI boot? Did you make hardware modifications on the board?

- When the vendor commands are passed, what is the return status you obtain for these vendor commands on the host application?

- Please share the UART debug prints.

Best regards,

Srinath S

Srinath,

I didn't use host application. I just print the received data to UART port. Does Cypress have example host application I can use to display the received data. If so, it would be very helpful.

0 Likes

Hello,

You can use the Cypress USB Control Center that comes along with the FX3 SDK to implement vendor commands. The data that is read back from the device can also be seen on the application.

The utility can be found in the following path after the installation of FX3 SDK.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-USB FX3 SDK\1.3\application\c_sharp\controlcenter\bin\Release

Best regards,

Srinath S

0 Likes
KeWa_2323766
Level 4
Level 4
25 sign-ins First solution authored 25 replies posted

Srinath,

Thank you for you help. I did make some modification to the hardware to use the SPI booting. Now I see that the modification I made is not proper.

0 Likes