BCM20737 power consumption

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GiMa_1343986
Level 1
Level 1
5 questions asked First like received First reply posted

Dear support,

I hade to estimate the life time of a product poered by a standard CR3032 battery coin.

The product will based on BCM20732 + external power amplifier capable to provide up to 10dBm + several sensors like accelerometer, gyro and magnetometer). I will use the proximity/find me profile.

Reading the DS I found only the typical and maximun power consunption of BLE radio, but I need a more detailed info like power consumption in sleep mode, wake up, processing and also a typical time lenght for RX and TX of a single connection event.

Could you provide me that info?

In first analisys the device that I had to do is more or less very similar to your WICED SENSE but with an esternal power amplifier, so a current consumption versus Time of Wiced SENSE could be enought.

Thansk a lot,

BR,

Giordano

1 Solution
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

In addition to the power consumption values in the datasheet, j.t has also worked with the team internally to deliver a set of more detailed power numbers that will be provided with the release of the new TAG4 board.

These numbers will provide some insight as to how the chip behaves at different advertising intervals and input voltages.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
12 Replies
BoonT_56
Employee
Employee
500 likes received 250 likes received 100 likes received

I think some of these power consumption values especially sleep modes are addressed in the SIP manuals which can be downloaded freely. How long the PA is turned on depends actually on your payload. In general, I would use the number of bits multiply by 1 micro-second as an estimate.

0 Likes
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

In addition to the power consumption values in the datasheet, j.t has also worked with the team internally to deliver a set of more detailed power numbers that will be provided with the release of the new TAG4 board.

These numbers will provide some insight as to how the chip behaves at different advertising intervals and input voltages.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Is it also measuring the power consumed by the radio?  If so, I assume it would make a difference if the radio was set for 0 dBm, 4dBm, etc..

Thanks!

Cliff

0 Likes

I think your question is answered within this thread: Re: The BCM20736 and BCM20737 SOC Datasheets are now available online...

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

We experimented with a BCM20736S running on a CR2032 battery using both 0dB and 4dB and found that 0dB gave only a couple more hours of battery life, but also reduced the range from about 30 meters to 30 feet.  The duration of the connection events will depend you your application somewhat, but in general they are very short.  I would suggest viewing your connection events on a scope to see how long they are.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi mwf_mmfae, the link to j.t 's work on power comsumption is not valid anymore. Could you please help here? Thanks.

They ended up being hard to reproduce.

The new TAG4 board should go a long way to resolve the current issue we have showing users how to measure power using our eval boards.

Q4 is when we expect the TAG4 board to be released.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply, mwf_mmfae

0 Likes

No problem.

If you have any additional questions, please enter a new discussion as those are easier to track.

andrew997

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The links seem to work for me.. you can also access the documents at the Wiced Smart Documentation page.

Does this work?  BCM20736 SOC Data Sheet

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

It works. Thank you, ehoffman.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The numbers in the datasheets are useful as benchmarks, but the actual number you get in practice will depend on what you are doing with the GPIO ports, how long your connection intervals are, how much data you are sending, how you are managing the sleep modes, and other factors.