is it possible to program CCG3PA using miniprog3

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
pavec_4247266
Level 2
Level 2
First like received

is it even possible to program the ccg 3PA with the miniprog3, it's almost 3 month since i'm trying to program the CCG3PA CYPD3175-LQXQ or CYPD3171-24LQXQ.

i always get the same errors like in the pictures below, i tried in PSOc creator and in psoc programmer always same problem the cable bitween miniprog and the MCU are short enought, i used with Xres connected or without Xres connect always same error and i tried PSOCprogramer2.PNGall the frenquency and 3.3V or 5V.

Memory Types Scan Device Finished at 11:10:48 AM                |

| FAILED! PSoC device is not acquired! Check connection of the chip to the programmer

| Please, check the following items:

|  - the connection between the programmer and the PSoC;

|  - the correct programming protocol is selected;

|  - the correct connector option is selected.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi,

It is possible to program any CCGx device using miniprog3.

The only difference in CCG3PA is power cycle mode and AXRES connection.

It appears from the voltage on VCCD that the internal core regulator might have broken down, due to electrical stress on the power pins.

It might be due to ESD, or voltage spikes on power rails. Also a common cause is accidental short of power pins to ground.

You will have to replace the part with a new one.

Regards,

Rajath

View solution in original post

0 Likes
12 Replies
RajathB_01
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Hello,

1. Please check Programming mode. It has to be 'Power Cycle' (screenshot shows 'Reset' mode).
  2. Please use the latest version of PSoC Programmer (3.28.3 and higher).
  3. Check if VCCD (pin #24 on the QFN and #4 on SOIC) is approximately 1.8 volts when powered.
  4. Keep the clock frequency below 16 MHz
  5. Voltage recommended is 3.3 volts.

Regards,

Rajath

0 Likes

thank you for the answer.

1) the screen shot was on reset but  even on cycle mode i have same error

2) yes i had the pscocprigrammer 3.27... (now i have updated to the latest 3.28.3.4174

3) pin 24 has 2.94V and pin 4 has only 0.492V == > 492mV

4) the frequency is 1.6MH ( that is below 16MHz i have tried also 1.5MHz, 12MHz, 8MHz, 6Mhz,3MHz)

5) voltage 3.3V

the problem is still there PSOCprogramer3.PNG

0 Likes

Hi,

Are you using the EVK CY4532 for programming CYPD3171?

Is it possible to share the schematic of your board if not using EVK?

Since you are using QFN, pin#24 VCCD must be at ~1.8 V; otherwise, something is wrong.

Regards,

Rajath

0 Likes
pavec_4247266
Level 2
Level 2
First like received

i don't use EVK.

here is the schematic i have to boarb for this schematic one everything float, on BIN 24, 23, 7, 8,9 are used jut for programming, on another board of the production all cap and resistor are mounted as on schematic only 10 and 4 float. but the problem is always the same.schematic.PNG

0 Likes

Hi,

AXRES (pin#9) need not be connected to XRES of miniprog3. It is best left open during programming. Any external voltage on AXRES can interfere with SWD programming in power cycle.

Make sure the VTARG from miniprog connects to VDDD of CCG3PA cleanly. Also please ensure no other sources of voltage are active on the board except for VTARG from miniprog while programming.

Are you consistently seeing more than 1.8 volts (2.9 volts as you said) on VCCD?

Regards,

Rajath

0 Likes
pavec_4247266
Level 2
Level 2
First like received

1)Xres (pin9) is not actually connect to the miniprog3 as i have mentioned before.

2)VTARG is connected to connected to VDDD cleanly and there is not other source of voltage except from VTARG

3) yes still consistly 2.9 on VCCD.

is there anyproblem with miniprog itself, or really is it possible to program CCG3PA with it ?

0 Likes

Hi,

It is possible to program any CCGx device using miniprog3.

The only difference in CCG3PA is power cycle mode and AXRES connection.

It appears from the voltage on VCCD that the internal core regulator might have broken down, due to electrical stress on the power pins.

It might be due to ESD, or voltage spikes on power rails. Also a common cause is accidental short of power pins to ground.

You will have to replace the part with a new one.

Regards,

Rajath

0 Likes

hello i took time to analyse the EVK CY4532  schematic i found out there is difference between the CCG3PA datasheet and EVK schematic on the VCCD and VDDD

0 Likes

VDDD is connected to 1 capacitor 0.1uF and  VCCD is connected to 2 capacitors 1uF and 0.1uF  evk.PNG

and on the CCG3PA as you can see it is the inverse VDDD is connected to 2 cap 1uF and 0.1uF and VCCD to just one of 1uF does this has to do with the problem ?

ccg3pa.PNG

0 Likes

Hi,

The EVK schematics show only 100nF on VDDD because VDDD_CCG3PA, the output of a regulator already has a bulk capacitor on the power board. Hence in the EVK, both VDDD and VCCD have 'effectively', both 1uF and 0.1uF

The 0.1uF on VCCD is optional, but 1uF should be present on VCCD all the times.

Both 0.1uF and 1uF are required on VDDD.

In that sense, your schematics are correct. The problem does not lie in the caps.

An out of range VCCD is indicative of a damaged chip.

Regards,

Rajath

0 Likes

thank you again just one last question for a programming board do you think floating pins can cause the ourange VCCD ??

0 Likes

If the floating pins catch up electrostatic discharge, it is possible, though some pins are ESD protected.

An accidental short or overvoltage is the most probable.

Regards,

Rajath

0 Likes