Why have the API's changed in POSC 6. The video training show a hodgepodge of old API's and new API's from PDL 3.1

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ChCe_4122011
Level 2
Level 2
First like received First like given

API changes in PSOC 6 cause much confusion when upgrading from lower POSC 4 family. For example, the video training for an ADC shows the start API as ADC_Start(); yet not of the literature in the new PDL 3.1 shows such a command. I only recognize it from when I was writing code with the PSOC4.  Am I missing something????

0 Likes
1 Solution

There indeed are some differences between the use of PSoC 6 and previous PSoC generations in PSoC Creator, as you said.

PDL is introduced here just for the universality to develop P6 on different platforms, not just PSoC Creator. It's easier to be transplanted. If you are accustomed to use the P4, you can still use the set of APIs generated with the component name on P6. They are still there

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies

Sorry for the confusion brought to you. The APIs you listed - ADC_Start() / UART_Start() are the upper level API generated for a concrete component. PDL APIs(name begun with "Cy_" ) are called inside.

Actually, the users can only call PDL APIs to fulfill the requested function. We have some code examples demonstrating that a same function constructed by either pure PDL APIs or component APIs.

0 Likes

Thank you for your response.

PSOC6 is a great product but I have some comments.

1.The data sheets with component APIs explain their function significantly better than the PDL documentation.

2.The PDL documentation is very vague and difficult to decipher.

3.What good are the component names if the APIs don't use them anymore (PDL 3.1). Isn't that what the GUI is for? To set the component parameters and set the code accordingly. For instance in previous versions the GPIO PIN names were relevant, but now you need to reference the actual pin numbers. Seems like a giant step backwards.

The PSOC products are really cool. One of the reasons I chose them was for the simplicity of the development platform and the power of PSOC of course. I understand you need to help out users with more complex needs please don't  thrown out one for the other.

As far as I can tell, Cypress has decided to make the PSoC 6 harder to use with PSoC Creator than previous members of the PSoC family in order to push people over to ModusToolbox.

0 Likes

There indeed are some differences between the use of PSoC 6 and previous PSoC generations in PSoC Creator, as you said.

PDL is introduced here just for the universality to develop P6 on different platforms, not just PSoC Creator. It's easier to be transplanted. If you are accustomed to use the P4, you can still use the set of APIs generated with the component name on P6. They are still there

0 Likes