Are CCG1 and CCG2 supported?

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GrCa_1363456
Level 6
Level 6
50 likes received Beta tester First comment on KBA

Community Post Getting Started with Cypress USB Type-C Products - KBA204071 states, "Cypress provides limited support for CCG1 and CCG2 controllers, and does not recommend their use in new designs."

If NRND (Not Recommended for New Designs), please update product selection websites and datasheets.

--Main USB Type-C and Power Delivery @ https://www.cypress.com/products/usb-type-c-and-power-delivery promotes both CCG1 and CCG2.

--EZ-PD CCG2 Type-C Port Controller website @ https://www.cypress.com/products/ez-pd-ccg2-type-c-port-controller  has "New Update" and NO indication the part is NRND.

--EZ-PD CCG2 Datasheet @ https://www.cypress.com/documentation/datasheets/ez-pd-ccg2-datasheet-usb-type-c-port-controller provides NO indication of NRND.

If CCG2 is still supported for new designs, is there a clean example to program a CCG2 with PSoC Creator?

I understand the components in the examples from Creator need updating

I'm not clear what to do with a missing -lusbpd_gcc after updating components and running a Clean and Build.

Community Post Psoc creator 4.0: Build error: cannot find -lusbpd_gcc indicates to change toolchain but doesn't provide a location for firmware binaries

Community Post ERROR: The command 'arm-none-eabi-gcc.exe' failed with exit code '1'. Chanage toolchain? disputes the need to change toolchain and indicates there are C coding issues in the files

Greg

0 Likes
1 Solution
RajathB_01
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Hi Greg,

For CCG2, I hope you are using the v3.0.2 of the SDK. If you look at the release notes, you will find the requirements.

You will need to change the toolchain to ARM MDK Generic. Please download ARM MDK from here - MDK Version 5

The location for binaries in the toolchain is "Keil_v5\ARM\ARMCC\bin"

Let us know if the build issues still persist.

We are in the process of making clarity in website regarding CCG1/CCG2. CCG2 is still being supported since some of our customers are using. The main reason for the KBA not recommending CCG1/2 for new designs is becuase they do not support PD3.0 and are low on memory for large applications. That is not a reason to make them completely NRND. But we are advising based on the application. More clarity will be brought in the website and documents soon.

Thank you for the feedback.

Regards,

Rajath

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RajathB_01
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Hi Greg,

For CCG2, I hope you are using the v3.0.2 of the SDK. If you look at the release notes, you will find the requirements.

You will need to change the toolchain to ARM MDK Generic. Please download ARM MDK from here - MDK Version 5

The location for binaries in the toolchain is "Keil_v5\ARM\ARMCC\bin"

Let us know if the build issues still persist.

We are in the process of making clarity in website regarding CCG1/CCG2. CCG2 is still being supported since some of our customers are using. The main reason for the KBA not recommending CCG1/2 for new designs is becuase they do not support PD3.0 and are low on memory for large applications. That is not a reason to make them completely NRND. But we are advising based on the application. More clarity will be brought in the website and documents soon.

Thank you for the feedback.

Regards,

Rajath

Rajath,

Thank you for the detail.

I'm now able to Clean and Build CCG2 projects in PSoC Creator.

I look forward to updated website and documentation.

Greg