I am having trouble with SWD protocol using 5-pin connector on MiniProg3. Please help.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
bhvfc_4216081
Level 1
Level 1

I am new to Cypress microcontrollers and I installed PSoC programmer. I have a custom board with CY8C4125LQI-483 micro on it and  I am trying to program it  using the 5 pin connector on MiniProg3. The pins on the micro are:

P3[2] for SWD Data

P3[3] for SWD Clk

pin30  for XRES

It says in documentation that the pin assignments on MiniProg3 for SWD protocol are:

SDIO for pin5

SCK for pin4

XRES for pin3

I am totally confused how to connect the 5-pin connector to the micro. So do I connect SDIO to SWD Data and 3.3V external power? Which pin on the 5-pin MiniProg should I use for the GND?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi,

1. What connector is selected in PSoC Programmer 5 or 10 pin? Is it the same you are using to connect your board?

pastedImage_0.png

2. Probably also try a slower clock speed.

3. Do you have a schematic of your board, probably there is an issue with that.

regards,

Achim

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
LinglingG_46
500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted 10 questions asked

MinProg3 screenshot:

minprog3.PNG

CY8C4125LQI-483 40QFN

P3[2]<--->SDAT

P3[3]<--->SCLK

XRES<--->XRES

VDD<---> VDDD

GND<---> VSSA

0 Likes

Thank you so much for explaining the pin config. I will try it now.

0 Likes

I have connected all the pins as you said. Then, I tried to program the board and it says:

Program Finished at ...                               |

| FAILED! PSoC device is not acquired! Check connection of the chip to the programmer

| Please, check the following items:

|  - the connection between the programmer and the PSoC;

|  - the correct programming protocol is selected;

|  - the correct connector option is selected.

What do you think is happening? So I connected the external power 3.3V to VDD as it is powering the board as well. Do you think that is not powering my board?

0 Likes

The Miniprog3 might not be able to power your board.

You can power the board externally and turn off the power from the Miniprog3 with the Toggle Power button in PSoC Programmer.

The common problems seem to be getting the clock and data pins swapped and selecting the 10 pin connector when using the 5 pin as listed above.

0 Likes

Thank you for the explanation. I did power the board separately and turned off the toggle power button on the programmer and the same error when I try to program it. Do I need to power the MiniProg3 using VTARG too or is it powered by USB connection from PC? I know these might be basic questions, but this is my first time using Cypress devices. I really appreciate the help.

0 Likes

Hi,

1. What connector is selected in PSoC Programmer 5 or 10 pin? Is it the same you are using to connect your board?

pastedImage_0.png

2. Probably also try a slower clock speed.

3. Do you have a schematic of your board, probably there is an issue with that.

regards,

Achim

0 Likes